Friday, October 3, 2008

Word Games

( "Rosebud" pilfered from the Internet; photographer unknown)

There's a word game that I like to play when there's nothing else to do, or when there's nothing else I can do because of limited resources and other circumstances. That was the case this morning when I arrived at the Perpetual Adoration Chapel at Maryfield and found myself unable to concentrate on praying. I had noticed a large vase of glorious pink roses (my favorite) as I entered, so I took out my notebook (thank goodness I had brought in my large, holds-everything bag) and began...

You may know this one -- You write a word (or in this case, two words) at the top of page; then you see how many sentences you can make using words that begin with the letters of your word. I came up with two-and-a-half for "Pink roses." (Note: I tried to project a sense of beauty and peace, since I was supposed to be praying.)

Personally, I never knew roses offered such extraordinary sweetness;

perfect in nature, keenly redolent of sublimity, elegantly situated.

Privileged, I now kneel, rosary out, savoring expected serenity.


And it only took me an hour!


(There are many different kinds of prayer, you know.)

No comments: