Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10/28 -- If Today is Your Birthday...

(Karen's Flower, Lake Shannon, by Karen Branson, 2001)

...If today is your birthday, you love to read. That is what brought us together almost 20 years ago -- a mutual love of reading and talking about books.

...If today is your birthday, you are one of the two charter members remaining of what we now call our "Intimate Book Group." (I'm the other one, of course.)

...If today is your birthday, your gift to others is your generous spirit, your gracious demeanor, your joy in life and the love that is evident in everything you do.

...If today is your birthday, you are a dear and steady friend whom I could take for granted as easily as I do all of my other blessings. But thank God that I do remember to count those blessings and feel grateful from time to time! Your friendship is a treasure I appreciate most when I allow myself some quiet time for reflection.

...If today is your birthday, I have a feeling of comfort whenever I think of our times together -- whether in the back room of a library branch, in the "intimacy" of one of our homes, or now, as we meet at the assisted living facility where our dear Frances resides. The ambiance has always been that of warm, freshly baked bread, aromatic coffee and loving conversation, even though the "feast" has not always been permitted, and the bread not always freshly baked!

If today is your birthday, I wish for you a day filled with warmth and beauty...with health for you and your loved ones, loving wishes from good friends. And time for books -- as much as you could possibly want!

Happy Birthday, Marilyn -- Have a beautiful day!

No comments: