Thursday, October 2, 2008

10/3 -- If Today is Your Birthday...

(Cardinal in the Snow by Leslie Craven, 2008)

If today is your birthday, you just might be my BFL (that's Best Friend, Leslie.)

If you that's you, then...

...You took this beautiful photograph, which I kept as my desktop background well into the spring. Indeed, you've taken many stunning photographs of beautiful things -- most of them in your own backyard -- which you have generously shared with me, and with all of your friends. (Thank you for that.)

...Our friendship has spanned two decades! So if I tell you that you are one of the "oldest" friends I have, know that I mean it in a really good way!

...You and I have shared such a wide variety of experiences and emotions...The joys (and pains)of bringing kids from toddlerhood to adulthood; the pleasures (and aggravations) of married life, and the fun (mostly) of sharing time together with our husbands -- the dinners out (and in), the parties, the shared vacations, the "game nights...We've shared the loss or our parents, and, vicariously, the good (and difficult) times in our childrens' lives...We've shared the fun of "girlfriend" time -- exclusively and with our other friends -- like those mountain and beach weekends with the Moa Boas! (My, haven't we both been blessed?) Remember, for a while we even shared the "office" experience (which is where it all started). Oh -- and don't forget all those craft projects! Tennis! Learning to two-step...

...You have been a huge part of my life in Greensboro. In fact, I can't imagine that I would have been nearly as happy here without you! You've shown me what a true "Southern" friend is -- the best kind! I've learned about southern hospitality (the warmest), southern food (the most satisfying) and southern customs from you.

...My life has been so richly blessed by your friendship, I feel that I'm the one who's been given a gift, even though today is your birthday!

Happy Birthday, my dear BFL! May we have as much fun sharing the decades to come as we did the two that have just passed!

No comments: