Friday, October 24, 2008

Little Old Men -- a Haiku*

*Haiku: an unrhymed Japanese poem of three lines containing 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively and referring in some way to one of the seasons of the year...

I have taken "poetic license" and made mine a multi-verse haiku. The only reference to a season is implied -- we are in the "winter" of our lives as we become little old men.

Shuffling, their feet,
Supported by their walkers,
They enter my heart.


There is a place there
Made softer by the vision --
Such fragility.


I think of my dad.
I did not see him as frail
Except for one time...


My daughter's wedding.
I thought, "Dad is growing old."
Months later, he's gone.


That place in my heart,
Was there before, however;
Soft place for old men.


The doctor's office...
"My appointment is Thursday?
Is it not today?


"There's been a mistake.
Am I the one who made it?
Maybe it was me."


(I would trade with him
If it were up to just me.
But there were others.)


At Mass on Monday...
Something fell from a frail hand.
I handed it back.


A pack of Tic-Tacs.
His smile made my heart lighter.
Personal contact.


Little old men. Sigh.
There's always a place for them
Deep in my psyche.







No comments: