Thursday, October 23, 2008

Might as Well...Can't Dance!

(Kate's Dancing Feet by Greg Fischer, 9/08)

Or:

"Falling in Love with Reality"
(taken from my Horoscope, 10/22/08)


Yesterday morning I shut the door on my life as a busy (as in always-jumping-around-flitting-from-one-activity-to-another busy; not as in accomplishes-a-lot-is-very-productive busy), active person who thrives on motion as a motivator. As that door closed, I opened the one marked, "Life as an Inactive Slug Who Must Now Live Cautiously." (I sighed deeply as I did so.)

Then I happened across my horoscope in the Greensboro News & Record...

"It's pointless and stressful to argue with what is. Acceptance of what you can't change will set you free. And if you take it one step further and really fall in love with reality, you'll be downright happy."

I'm not making that up! That really was my horoscope yesterday! And so, in an effort to "really fall in love with my reality" (for who doesn't want to be "downright happy?") I've come up with some little reminders for myself...

(1) I may not be able to clog, but I can still wear my clogging shoes, and tap my feet very loudly.

(2) I may not be able to get out and enjoy a brisk walk on a beautiful fall day (How ironic that this new reality of mine should begin during my most favorite season of all. Sigh), but I can still sit outside and watch my husband rake leaves into big piles and haul them to the street. (Honey, you know I'd love to help you, but remember what the doctor said...)

(3) I may not be able to distract myself from the mundane activities of housekeeping by breaking up periods of work with periods of dancing, but I can still put such "mundanity" off for hours on end as I sit here typing my blog. (Bonus: I may even be able to elevate blogging to an aerobic level if I put my mind to it!)

(4) I may no longer be able to maintain my "leg strength" by using a kitchen chair (height:18 inches) as a step during the most vigorous of my Firm excercise videos (I never did invest in one of those 14-inch boxes they keep talking about), but that in itself is a reality I shall happily embrace -- I hate that exercise!

(5) I may be required to take a drug, the very name of which strikes fear into my heart for some reason; but here it is, only my second day, and I feel better already!

(6) I was only able to think of five things which I am being forced to give up (and I really had to stretch to come up with some of those); yet I still have an entire paragraph of things things that give me pleasure (and which perhaps I will now have more time to pursue)! A partial list would include reading, playing my guitar, just sitting and feeling grateful (for everything), drawing, painting, sewing, crocheting, knitting...Not to mention all of those other crafts for which I have laid in a large stock of provisions (beading, scrapbooking...), but for one reason or another, have yet to attempt!

You know, perhaps my new reality won't be so difficult to love after all.

Attitude adjustment complete. (Thank you, God.)

No comments: