Monday, October 27, 2008

Job Interview: The Follow-Up

(Kate Celebrating, circa 1955)

I got the job!

(I just thought you'd like to know why I'm celebrating.)

It was one week ago today that I went out on a limb, put myself out there, took a chance...had a job interview.
Today was the day I was going to make that awkward follow-up phone call. You know -- the one where I tell them that I hope I'm still "in the ring," because I am very excited about the prospect of coming to work for them. I spent my entire lunch with my daughter trying to prepare myself to make that call. Then, before I could dial the phone, they called me! (I think I know how Sally Field felt when, upon winning an Oscar, she blubbered, "You like me -- You really like me!")
The place? Barnes & Noble, Friendly Shopping Center (a/k/a one of my five favorite places on earth).

When do I start? I don't know yet, but I go in next Monday to fill out the paper work. (I think I've already done the hard part, right?)

What will I be doing? The official description is "Shelfer," but I'll be happy to do whatever they ask of me -- within my aerobic capacity, of course.

My hours will be 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 or 11:30. I like the 11:30-ish part. Being somewhere by 7:00 will take a bit of practice, however!

Of course I realize this is a "seasonal" position. But hey -- it's a Position! That's something I haven't held in such a very long time. I hope I remember how!
Oh, I just know I'm going to be the best seasonal shelfer that store has ever had! I am an intelligent, worthwhile person with plenty of talent and lots of skills. I can do anything I put my heart into. I will be an asset to anyone willing to step out of their comfort zone to give me a chance! Barnes & Noble is lucky to have me -- Indeed!

Oh My Gosh! I have to go buy some new shoes or something! Wait -- Jordyn's here! I'd better go take care of her now! Hey -- I'd better get some sleep so I can get up early...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooohh--what's the employee discount?!

Leslie said...

What a perfect place for you!
Congratulations!
Leslie