Monday, October 20, 2008

Too Good to be True?

(Kate in a Quandary, circa 1954?)


You decide...

I had a job interview this morning. With the exception of one I had a couple of months ago (and which I'm still trying to get over -- hey, I don't handle rejection well), it was my first such ordeal since 1990. (And that one probably shouldn't count, because it involved calling up my Best Friend Leslie and asking, "Are you still looking for someone to work in your office?" and her saying, "Yes -- Do you want the job?" and me saying, "Yes, I do," and her saying, "Ok. It's yours.") My point is, this was a huge leap outside of my comort zone.

To begin with, as I was getting ready for the J.O. (I know that has multiple meanings, but here let it simply stand for Job Interview, ok?), I realized there were a number of questions I hadn't thought to ask anyone. Questions like...

...How should I dress? In the way that makes me feel most comfortable, or in the way my husband thinks looks good? If my hair is flat on top and it looks better with a roller stuck there, is it ok to leave one in? (Don't worry -- I'd never go out with more than one!) Do I need to wear socks? Is a tiara appropriate if it fits the persona I'm trying to convey? Which leads to my next question...

...Who should I be? Someone who is self-confident, self-possessed, and self-controlled, or someone who is possessed and controlled by others, and whose confidence level is directly related to the way she perceives she is being regarded at the moment?

...How should I answer questions? Should I try to figure out what I think the Interviewer wants to hear, or should I just be honest and hope for the best?

Well, of course I know the answer to that last one! One must always be honest, in every situation. I would never attempt to mold my answers into the shape of what I thought the questioner was looking for! That would be dishonest! (And besides -- what if I'd guessed that shape incorrectly?!)

But guess what...Every time I heard myself answer a question, I thought, "Oh, crap! That sounded like I'm just saying whatever I think he wants to hear!" You know, things like, Oh no -- I would never try to pick a fight with a customer. Or, If I see someone who's cranky and out of sorts, I like the challenge of trying to make them laugh. And, Of course I don't mind being pulled from one job to another to fill a need; multi-tasking is what I'm all about! (And here's my very favorite one: If I were given a task that turned out to be really boring, I would play little games with my brain to make it more interesting.) But truly -- I was being honest. That is the way I am when I'm not at home!

Alas...On the first two questions, I was forced to "wing it." I arrived for my J.O. wearing socks, flat hair, no tiara. (I had changed my slacks to accommodate my husband's taste.) I think I appeared self-confident, etc.; however, after the interview, I took a side trip to the mall, which always knocks the wind out of my sales (i.e., I sense that all the smart, attractive people there see me as a dowdy old lady who has no right to even be out of the house, let alone at the mall). Therefore, I'm no longer so confident that the interview went well.

However, as for that last question, I think maybe I really was just too good to be true...

Whatever happens, I really did enjoy this particular interview. I don't know if the Interviewer was being totally honest himself, or if he just had good manners (both of which I consider to be good qualities)...I just loved him because whenever I said something that made me mentally slap myself and think, "Ooohh, why did I say that?" he would say "Me too!" (Yes, he really did say that to my comment about playing little games with my brain.) Hmmmm. Maybe even if I don't get hired, I'll still say that this interview went well.

No comments: