Monday, October 6, 2008

The Moa Boas

Note: I have spent more time than I'm entitled to for the next six weeks trying to set this post up so that the photos and captions are aligned. I would also have liked for it be aesthetically pleasing when my readers log on (probably about two-and-a-half million of you by now, right?)...You know how they say, "It's the thought that counts?" Well, I thought I could do it, but now I am admitting defeat. Just read, ok?


Photos:
(Top) Moa Boas in Moa Boas, Boone, NC, circa 2003 - Julie, Hilda, Helen, Leslie
(Center) With Hubbies - John & Leslie, Greg & Kate, Archie & Julie, Mitch & Hilda, Jimmy & Helen, Hodgin Valley Farm, 2007
(Bottom) Blowing Rock, NC -- Julie, Hilda, Leslie, Helen

The "Moa Boas" are so much more than the name implies! (What does that name imply, anyway? We named ourselves after those fuzzy knitted tube scarves that were so popular a few years back.)

We were initially brought together by a mutual love of tennis. Then life and injuries intervened, leaving only a couple of us to carry on our legacy on the courts. It turns out, however, that tennis was not the only bond between us. We happily discovered that we all shared a love of knitting soft, fuzzy scarves. (Get it? The Moa Boas!) We also realized that there were any number of activities that we enjoyed, as long as we could do them together...Stimulating conversation (a/k/a "bitch sessions"); trips to the mountains and the beach; shopping -- especially in the mountains and at the beach; preparing gourmet meals (some of us) and eating them (all of us); drinking good wine (as well as other beverages); movies and shows...The list doesn't end. To state it simply, the Moa Boas are friends.

As a group, and as individuals, the Moa Boas are multi-talented. This was never more clear than when I received a telephone serenade for my birthday the other night...

Did I mention that Monday was my birthday? Well, it was the worst birthday I've ever had. (Ok, not totally, but sort of.) That was the day that my body decided to react to that flu shot I had last week (see "Scary Doctor Blog") and I was afflicted with flu-like symptoms. I kept trying to convince myself they were "virtual" flu symptoms, and therefore could not hurt me, but I wasn't buying it. I felt miserable for most of the day. Not only did I have to back out of my lunch plans with Leslie -- She and I always share our birthdays, since they're days apart -- but I wasn't able to join the group for knitting (maybe) and cake that evening.

(Here I would like to confess that my birthday really wasn't bad at all. Leslie lost her mom a couple weeks ago, and she was not able to do knitting and cake on Monday night, either, because she was preparing to leave today for Florida, where they are having the memorial service. I do not mean to be flippant by blogging on like a self-absorbed idiot. I hope she knows that my heart is with her.)

Anyway, by dinner time I was better -- well enough, in fact, to enjoy some white beans and collard greens (yes, I actually craved them) that my husband brought home from the cafeteria. (Well, what did you have for your birthday dinner?) Later, as I settled down to watch "Dancing With the Stars," consoling myself that at least I wouldn't have to miss my tv, the phone rang...

The Moa Boas were singing Happy Birthday, and it was awesome! (Then Julie, who was hosting that night, told me how good the cake was -- I think they're saving some for Leslie and me!) I don't know if they ever got around to knitting or not -- sometimes we don't. I just know that whatever they did, they had fun, and they made me feel part of it by calling! Thank you, Moa Boas! You're the best -- all of you! (Good singers, too!)

No comments: