Monday, February 2, 2009

In Defense of Being a Cyber-Stalker

"I Think Greg Looks Like a Stalker!" Christmas 2007, by Kate



My husband (yeah, the awesome one) says that I'm a cyber-stalker. I don't think that's fair. The word stalker has such negative connotations, doesn't it? I mean I've always thought stalkers were kind of dangerous. You know -- like the ones that follow celebrities around and get restraining orders issued against them?

Okay -- I just looked up "stalk" in my Webster's. (It's the paperback version, so "stalker" isn't even in it.) Discard the first definition: "walk with slow, dignified strides." That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about here. The next one, though, "approach stealthily," could be used with "cyber." But that is sooooooo not what I am!

Greg says I'm a stalker because I like to read other people's blogs. He says it like it's a bad thing -- something I should feel guilty about. (Ah, that's the stealthy part, I guess.) I think he feels that way because because most of the blogs I read are written by people much younger than myself. Like that somehow makes them vulnerable and defenseless against my prurient wiles. (Ewwww! I just got the willies! I can't even think of myself in that way!)

I'm sorry. I like to read books written by other people, too. Does that make me a literary stalker? (Maybe only if I read books by young authors?)


Well, in my defense, let it be known: Whenever I decide to read someone's blog on a regular basis, I immediately sign on an as an official Follower of that blog. That way, they know I'm there. If it weren't for the cyber part -- if I were just a plain old stalker -- they'd be able to look out their windows and see me smiling and waving in a friendly and encouraging manner. Certainly nothing scary (or stealthy) about that, is there?
Fear not, young bloggers -- I mean you no harm. I just love being entertained. You make me laugh, you make me cry -- what more can I ask? Thank you for blogging!

3 comments:

Puck58 said...

I am a proud cyber-stalker! The whole blogging community would crumble if we bloggers didn't stalk each other:)

Dawn said...

Well apparently, I, too, am a cyber- stalker. Some people (like GF) just don't get it.

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks guys! I feel a little better now! (And thanks for reading!)