Friday, February 27, 2009

2/27 -- If Today is Your Birthday...





"Dominic Jumps" by Greg, circa 2005


...If today is your birthday, you rocked my world, my son -- Literally! You still do, but in the first days after you were born I think I must have experienced the full range of available human emotions. First, of course, the pure joy that you were finally here, and I was going to actually be able to hold you...Then the disappointment when I found that I would have to wait a while because you were having a little trouble breathing on your own(!) Next came desperation, when I realized the nurse with the calm, soothing voice was preparing me for the possibility that we might lose you -- before I'd even held you! Then stark terror as I watched my tiny, wailing, unconsolable baby being loaded into the ambulance that would take him to another hospital miles away. But...


...If today is your birthday, we're not going to think about all of that now! Instead, we're celebrating because it wasn't God's plan for us to lose you. He was just trying to prepare us for what lie ahead of us as your parents!


...If today is your birthday, you love riding things that make your hair fly back off your face -- like this revamped golf cart at Uncle Mark's on Thanksgiving.
Other things include fast boats, tubes being pulled behind fast boats and leaf blowers. (Power washers would probably be good, too, but then you'd be soaked, and the effect would be ruined.)



...If today is your birthday, your horoscope says you create a buzz of excitement wherever you go. Duh! Who doesn't get excited when confonted by a leaf blower?!!






...If today is your birthday, it also says that your tastes develop in eclectic ways. I think that may have something to do with your ADD. You know, like when you're listening to a CD, then one of your friends calls you to go to a movie and when you get back you can't remember where you put the CD, so you say, "Oh well, I don't like that kind of music any more anyway." And here's some great news...






...If today is your birthday, you're supposed to find it easier to make a living in June. That's probably because you'll be able to wear breezy little summer hats like this handsome white cloche...








...If today is your birthday, funny people will delight you this summer. Hmmmmmm, that sounds like another trip to Michigan! (Of course you're one of the funniest people I know, and you delight me all the time!)





...If today is your birthday, I wish I could make your whole life as beautiful and calm as you look in this picture. (If you could do this every day, I bet your nickname would be "Kayak Kid." )

Kayaking on Lake Shannon, 2008, by Karen Branson




HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY AMAZING SON, DOMINIC!




I LOVE YOU BEYOND YOUR IMAGININGS.

No comments: