Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another Crazy Dream Blog

Dj and Joe (as in Meagan's Joe), Summer 2005, Lake Shannon, by Karen. (See Photo Note below after you have read this post.)




I had another crazy dream last night. Well, actually, this morning, just before the alarm went off. At first I couldn't remember what it was, but I knew I'd had one. Then my Awesome Husband Greg brought me a cup of coffee with a straw so I could slowly sip myself awake, and that's when it all came back to me...



I was dressed for something wintry -- perhaps ice fishing? I know it wasn't ice skating, because a cute little twirly skirt and tights were not part of my outfit. I'm seeing corduroy pants, a big puffy jacket and heavy leather work boots. Hmmmm. Wouldn't I have been wearing waders if I were ice fishing? I guess I should do some research -- but later.



It seems like everything I was wearing was either brown or dark green. And there was someone with me. I'm not sure, but I think it might have been Shane Sparks. (You know -- the judge on America's Best Dance Crew and So You Think You Can Dance?) If it wasn't Shane, whoever it was was African American, and he was dressed in the same kind of doofy outfit I was. (That makes me think it probably wasn't Shane.)



So it was cold, we were dressed for the cold (Did I mention that we were also wearing hats, scarves and gloves?) and we were on the water. Water, not ice. There was a dock and a jet ski. And this guy -- what the heck -- I'm just gonna go ahead and call him Shane -- is trying to explain to me that it's perfectly all right to ride a jet ski when you're all dressed in warm, puffy clothing and leather boots. He was trying to convince me that nothing bad or scary would happen; that I'd be perfectly safe.



I obviously wanted to believe him, but I seemed to be having a little trouble. For one thing, I don't know who paid for those boots, but I was really hesitant to get them wet -- Or maybe it was just that I was hesitant to get myself wet. Whatever. I finally stepped off the dock, swam out to the jet ski and climbed on. That's when I realized that, hey, I didn't feel the least bit chilled -- or wet! When I patted my corduroys, they were wet, but none of it was soaking through to my skin! That's when I realized that Shane was right -- I would be perfectly fine!



Now I still don't know why I it was winter -- oh, never mind -- it is winter, isn't it?! But why was my outfit so unattractive? Also, I'm not sure why my encouraging companion was Shane Sparks. But I have sort of figured out some of the other stuff:



The jet ski: A few days ago I had listened to a friend describe her near-death experience with bus hijackers in Guatemala. She had said one of her first thoughts was "If I die here, my mother will kill me." That had reminded me of the time Greg and I were in Cancun and we'd taken a jet ski out when there was a tropical storm looming over the ocean. (Against every ounce of judgment within me, I might add!) I was terrified, and at that point I had absolutely no trust in my Awesome Husband's ability to maneuver a jet ski over 30-foot waves (Ok, perhaps that's a slight exaggeration, but I want to be sure you understand my mindset.) I, too, had actually thought, "If I die doing this, my mother will kill me."



My trepidation: I think I have mentioned in this blog that I've been filling out on-line job applications. That alone is a big step outside of my comfort zone. But I've also been applying for jobs in places I never would have imagined myself being employed...as a cashier in a manufacturing plant cafeteria, as a census taker...Not actually having Shane Sparks to encourage me to just plunge in, leather boots and all, I've been talking pretty hard to myself, telling myself things like "C'mon, girl -- You know you can do whatever you want to do!" and "Yes, you do want to be a cashier in a cafeteria -- Don't you remember? Why, you've dreamed of that ever since you were a wee, small lass!"



My triumph over the wet and cold: That's the premonition part of the dream. It really is going to be ok. (I'm kind of hoping it means that one of the bookstores where I've applied will call and hire me later on today, but if not, I can be sure that whatever comes along will be the right thing, and that I'll be a smash hit, wherever I work.)



Shane Sparks: Hey -- I think I just figured out why he was there -- I'm going to be an exotic dancer! Obviously I needed a competent dance-judger to encourage me to go for it...



Unflattering Outfit: Got that part, too, now...It's going to be part of my act. As I'm dancing, I'll take off all that ugly, puffy corduroy stuff, and underneath I'll be wearing a really darling skating outfit! (Underneath my stocking cap, of course, will be a sparkly tiara.)



Ok, folks -- I gotta get back out there and get my feet wet (so to speak)! Later, Bloggees!



Photo Note: Obviously this is not a picture of a jet ski or an African American male dressed for winter sports. I tried, but I couldn't come up with anything even close. So this is just a gratuitous photo of two cute guys enjoying some fun and sun in the middle of winter. (At least there's water.)


No comments: