Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How to STAND OUT at a Job Interview...






You know how I've said that I hate filling out those on-line job applications? That's because I just don't look good on paper. If I have any chance at all of capturing your interest in these days of ultra-competitive job seeking, I need to have a gimmick -- I need to get in front of you and give you something to remember me by.

For example, the other day I applied, in person, for a job as counter help at a bakery. I figured I'd have a pretty good shot at that, since my face currently resembles a pie (Thank you, Prednisone). But just in case, I wore a chef hat...




Then yesterday, when I applied for a job teaching a sewing class and was required to bring along some items that I had made, I brought a very large totebag which has turned out to be one of my most practical projects -- I use it as a soft, squishy suitcase whenever I go someplace.




Note:This is not actually the bag I made. The one I made is black, with gold squiggles and some other designs all over it. I just wanted you to have a visual...




Well, naturally the interviewer wanted to look inside the bag. I said, "Of course -- go ahead." Had I known what she was about to discover, I probably would have added "Heh-heh-heh," in a sinister tone.




I'm pretty sure I'll be remembered from that interview -- I'll be remembered as the Woman Who Carries Around a Pair of Lime Green Underpants in a Homemade Totebag!





No comments: