Thursday, December 18, 2008

Some Words About Shoes


Hi Bloggees!
*

(I hope you don't mind if I call you that. It's just that, well, I've been writing to you for a while now, not really being sure what to call you. I know I've referred to you as Readers a time or two, and I suppose that is an appropriate term; if you were not readers, then it wouldn't matter what I called you anyway, would it? Well, yesterday as I was driving home from work, I was thinking about you -- the collective you -- and the term Bloggee just popped into my head. Oh, don't worry -- it was a quiet little pop. Nothing to make me run off the road or anything like that. Anyway, I started smiling to myself, thinking "That's perfect!" So that's what I'm going to call you from now on, ok?)
*



Now for those words I was going to say -- you know -- about shoes...
*

As you know, there are countless styles of shoes. Dress shoes, casual shoes, work shoes, athletic shoes...If it can be done wearing shoes, then there's probably a specific shoe made just for that activity.
*
To simplify, therefore, I am going to speak here of only two types of shoes that will fit nicely into one basic category -- Work Shoes. The types of shoes to which I refer are (a) Mean Shoes, and (b) Nice Shoes.
*
You may wonder why a person would even own a pair of Mean Shoes. Of course we can assume that one wouldn't purchase such a pair of shoes in the first place, if one knew the true character of those shoes. But some Mean Shoes are very pretty, making them hard to resist -- initially. It is not until they are actually worn for more than ten minutes that they let their secret be known, i.e., this is a pair of shoes that must be taken seriously! Get rid of them? Well, that's one option...
*
Personally, I have found that, while owning more than one pair of Mean Shoes can be dangerous -- They will try to rally the other shoes over to their side, potentially causing Nice Shoes to turn -- one pair can be very useful indeed.

*

Let's say you have been blessed with an opportunity to work in a place where you also love to shop. And let's say that you tend to be a little impulsive with your money. (Of course I'm speaking hypothetically, Blogees.)

*

Let's also say that you love the store where you work so much, you'd even work there for free.(But don't say that part out loud -- we wouldn't want Management to hear.)

*

Given the above then, it's understandable if sometimes you find it difficult to resist lingering in that store a little longer than your work schedule demands. You know what I'm talking about; let's call it browsing. (For purposes of this post, browsing shall be defined as "spending money.")

*

Now if you were feeling particularly weak on a morning when you knew that there was no money to spend (even on books -- which would be a rare occasion, indeed), you simply slide your feet into your Mean Shoes. It's practically guaranteed that all of the time spent in your favorite store that day will be overshadowed by an overwhelming desire to get home so you can be rid of those miserable shoes. Immediately after clocking out, you make haste to your car. No browsing -- no spending. Problem solved. I rest my case -- Mean Shoes can be useful.

*

Now what can I say about Nice Shoes? I think they speak for themselves. Wear them when you want to have a nice day. Wear them when you need cheering up, or when you already feel happy. Wear them when you have something fun planned -- or when you have no idea what the day will bring. Wear them when you want people to be nice to you, and wear them when you want to be nice to people. Wear them because you like them, and they will reward you by liking you back.

*

Wear your Nice Shoes today, Bloggees, and have a Nice Day!

*

"Mean Shoes" and "Nice Shoes" by Kate, 12/18/08 (MSN Paint)

No comments: