Sunday, December 21, 2008

12/21 -- If Today is Your Birthday...

Kim Welch, September 2007, by Karen Branson


...If today is your birthday, you are Greg's baby sister, Kim -- the one he used to call "Cubby." (He still does -- but only at family gatherings. You know...the ones where he likes to make Dawn laugh until she cries by doing his Florian impersonations.)



...If today is your birthday, you were just a kid when I started dating your "Stubby." It was fun to take you along with us sometimes.



...If today is your birthday, here are some of the things I remember about those days:



* You used to like to put food coloring in your water at the dinner table.


* When we would go horseback riding, you always liked to ride the horse known as "Little Mare."


* One day your dad was napping in his room right off the kitchen where you, Greg and I were goofing around. Greg started singing "Volare," (the Dean Martin version) in a very loud voice, and your dad poked his grumpy-looking face out of his door. Greg cracked us up when he said, "Dad, Kim was singing 'Volare.'"


...If today is your birthday, we don't see you nearly often enough, although you only live about a half-day away. We really should get together more often, because it's always so much fun when we do!



...If today is your birthday, you have a beautiful, brilliant daughter -- Tara -- and I will never forget the week I spent with you right after she was born. Babies are such magic, and I'll always be grateful that you trusted me to be there to help you. (I don't know if I've ever told you how touched I was to be asked.)



...If today is your birthday, I'm glad that we've become sisters and friends. Marrying your brother was a small enough price to pay!



Happy Birthday, Kim! We love you, and hope you have a wonderful day!

No comments: