Sunday, December 28, 2008

12/28 -- If Yesterday Was Your Birthday...

Taylor Hope Gottlieb with her brand new sister, Jordyn Paige, 11/12/02 (by Greg)


...If yesterday (December 27) was your birthday, I didn't get to post your Birthday Blog because I was in Zanesville, Ohio. (But I was thinking about you, and wishing you a wonderful day!)
*

...If yesterday was your birthday, you are the girl who started it all -- my "Borrowed Babies," I mean. You were only two years old when I first met you. I remember Mommy had to take you to work with her on a Sunday morning, because she didn't have anyone to watch you. (That's when she and Meagan worked together at the Gap.) Meagan called me to ask if I would be able to come and pick you up and watch you for a while. She said, "Mom, you'll love this little girl -- she'll remind you of me!" (And she was right -- with all that curly brown hair and those big brown eyes, you did remind me of my Meagan when she was little!)

*

...If yesterday was your birthday, I'm pretty sure that was the day I fell in love with you. I was fascinated by how tiny you were -- and by how brave, to let Mommy buckle you in your car seat and come away with us -- people you'd never even seen before. You were very quiet, and we were falling all over ourselves, wanting you to like us! (Ah well, some things never change, do they? Oh -- not the "you-were-so-quiet" part. I mean the part about us falling all over ourselves trying to please you!)

*

...If yesterday was your birthday, it would be a couple of years before I would begin taking care of you regularly, although Meagan often brought you over to visit us. You were always so entertaining -- and cute -- and smart -- and talented...(Would you like me to go on?)

*

...If yesterday was your birthday, I have so many wonderful memories of our days together as you awaited the arrival of your baby sister...Remember -- at first we thought it was going to be a boy, and you were going to call him "Unicorn Teddy." (I still love that name!)

*

...If yesterday was your birthday, we just saw you on Christmas, when we reminisced about some of our favorite "Taylor Lines"...

*

- One day I took you with me to the place where Dj got his hair cut. We had to sit in the waiting area, where you picked up a magazine and started "reading" it. An adorable little boy -- about a year old -- came in with his mother, and he just kept staring at you with admiration. I pointed this out to you, and you just sort of shuddered and said, "Ugh -- I hate having babies all over me!"

*

- Then there was the time you were supposed to be putting sugar on the cookies we had made, but instead, you were eating it by the spoonful. I said, "Taylor, do Mommy and Daddy let you eat sugar like that at home?" You looked at me like I had lost my mind and said, "Um, Kate...Mommy and Daddy aren't here."

*

-And then there's my personal favorite (even though you used a not-so-nice word -- twice)...I was reprimanding you for something -- can't even remember what -- and apparently I had gone on a little too long, because you said, "Kate, you're p---ing me off!" I managed to keep a straight face as I said, "Taylor, I know you are not allowed to say that word!" You came right back with, "I don't care -- you're still p---ing me off!"

*

...Hey, you know what...If yesterday was your birthday, as I read back over this stuff, I'm not sure why your mommy let me continue to take care of you -- it's obvious that you were the one who was in charge! (But I'm so glad she did!)

*

...If yesterday was your birthday, you are -- and always have been -- one of the most beautiful little girls I've ever known. We have so many pictures of you, it was hard to decide which ones to use for your Birthday Blog. I chose this one, because it shows your silly side...

Taylor at Meagan's wedding, 9/22/07 (by Karen Branson)


...and I like this one from last Christmas, because it's more serious. (Sorry -- even though Greg took more pictures this Christmas, he hasn't had time to send them to me, because he was in Ohio, too. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to do a follow-up photo blog...)



Taylor on Christmas Day 2007 (by Greg)


...Finally, if yesterday was your birthday, I am so very glad that you and your family came into our lives. We love all of you very much. Oh -- how could I almost forget my favorite Taylor line of all -- one I often quote: "We are family, because we're used to each other." That says it all, my sweet girl.

*

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Taylor. Sorry we weren't here to celebrate with you...But there's always tomorrow (or the next day)!


Happy Birthday, Taylor Hope Gottlieb!


No comments: