Sunday, December 14, 2008

I "Break" for Little Old Men -- a Holiday Retail Poem


'Twas a fortnight 'til Christmas, and all through the store,
Prices were dropping so folks could buy more.
It was still rather early for real hard-core shopping,
But later, we knew that place would be hopping!
***
When a brief lull occurred in the customer line,
The Head Cashier said, "'Twould would really be fine
If you'd take all these stickers -- There should be enough --
To mark all the Christmas cards; for now they're half off!"
***
So armed with a big roll of colorful stamps,
I walked to that card table and set up my camp.
'Twas hard to stay focused on the task now at hand...
The finest assortment of cards in the land!
***
There were cards that were cute; some went for the laugh.
(Buy some of each, 'cause you'll only pay half!)
There were plenty of snowmen and Santas, and such;
And one Holy Family, which I liked very much.
***
Quite pleased to be given this pleasant new chore,
I realized that this break would likely do more
To replenish my spirit and make me feel new
Than a banana and coffee break ever could do!
***
Totally immersed now in reaching each box,
I piled them 'round me like so many rocks
(Rememb'ring, of course, their oringinal places;
All must be returned to their very own spaces).
***
Concentrating hard on doing the job right,
Gave me cause to worry o'er the plight of my sight...
Looking up for a moment from all of those piles,
Lo, what I beheld gave my heart cause to smile!
***
Standing there quietly, watching me work
Was what I consider one of this job's best "perks;"
A Little Old Man in a pristine ball cap,
Just keeping busy 'til time for his nap.
***
He picked up a box of cards to inspect --
I showed him some more, thinking, "Oh, what the heck!"
He was a customer -- buying or not,
And I wasn't moving too far from this spot.
***
We shared all our insights on holiday greetings;
'Twas clearly a case of like minds a-meeting!
(He made me think, of course, of my dad --
Most likely because of that ball cap he had.)
***
His eyes, how they twinkled as he bid me good day;
I felt a strange longing as he walked away.
But the feeling of Happy stayed with me a while,
And the rest of the day, my heart kept its smile.
***
So I've made up my mind -- even when I am busy,
With a list that would make a dervish feel dizzy,
If given a chance like this one again,
I always shall "break" for little old men!

4 comments:

Cindy Ricksgers said...

I love this, Kate! I'm so glad you posted it now so that I could enjoy it! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Cindy -- I'm glad you enjoyed.

richard chisholm said...

First time I've seen it. I love it. In a few more years I'll be one of those "little old men'.

Unknown said...

Yep, Rick. I once wrote a poem for my dad that had the line, "now that we're the same age." Feels like it's come true!