Saturday, December 13, 2008

In Praise of Prednisone

Kate Fischer, Christmas 2007 (by Greg Fischer)






-----Advertisement-----



If you're like me, the very word "prednisone" strikes fear into your heart. At least that's the way I used to be, before I actually tried it...




You see, years ago, my mother was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease, and her doctors prescribed prednisone. I was in my early 20's then, and typically self-involved. It was pretty hard for someone else to grab my attention and hold onto it for very long...




I do remember, however, being extremely concerned when, as a result of the chemotherapy treatments that were also prescribed for Mom, she lost her hair. And I recall that she felt really awful for what seemed like a very long time. But what I mostly remember is that for years afterwards, she talked about the terrible things prednisone had done to her (i.e., destroyed her immune system, making her extremely vulnerable to whatever nasty bug or virus was in season). In my mind, the drug became worse than the disease...




Not any more, though. Now I have my own prescription for the "Big P," and apparently it's not my mother's prednisone! True, it may be destroying my immune system, even as I type this testimonial, insidiously weakening my bones and planting little cataracts in my eyeballs. But the patient-information pamphlet that comes with the pills informs me that if my doctor did not think the benefits outweighed the risks in my case, he would not have prescribed prednisone. And he was so right!




Let me describe some the marvelous benefits I am reaping, now that I have worked my way up to 40 mg per day of this marvelous wonder-drug:




- Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory. That means no more stiff, aching joints when I get up in the morning. I hit the floor running -- mostly because prednisone makes it unnecessary to sleep much -- but also because I know it's not going to hurt!




- Prednisone is an anti-depressant. It must be -- I'm positively manic these days!




- Prednisone is a stimulant. See above.




- Prednisone is a mood-enhancer. It makes me love everybody!




- Prednisone is a stress-reliever. Probably because it's all of the above. Who could feel stressed when they're pain-free, happy and stimulated?
- And last, but not least (the reason I was given my very own prescription in the first place) prednisone is a breath of fresh air! I almost forgot to mention that for the first time in two years, I am able to fill my lungs all the way to the top without coughing and sputtering. I can talk aerobically (can you?) without choking on my words. And I can read out loud for as long as I like without having to continually down cough drops. (I can also sing again, but I still can't carry a tune. I guess the drug does have its limitations.)
No, indeed. This is not my mother's prednisone. And I am not my mother. (Sigh.) My mother did not trust drugs, and after her Hodgkins ordeal, seldom took anything stronger than Tylenol. I, on the other hand (although I do try to limit the drugs that I take), seem to really, really like the ones that I allow myself!
So ask your doctor. Prednisone is not for everyone. But for people like me, well...I'll cross the withdrawal bridge when I come to it.



Meanwhile, if your doctor says it it's ok for you, then I invite you to join me for a very merry prednisone holdiay -- just think of how much you'll be able to get done!

No comments: