Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Praying the Blues



Lord, I'm feeling kind of blue...

A couple of days ago, I got annoyed after reading like the tenth complaint on a friend's timeline about how us whiny liberals need to suck it up and move on. (You know, Lord, how I hate self-righteousness, being as how I'm rarely right myself.) Well, in trying to be clever--you know how I do--I posted a status about how I wasn't unfriending people because their words offended me, or because I thought they didn't have a right to say them. Rather, I was unfriending them because they were pissing me off.

On the heels of that, I unfriended the guy. Although I've long admired him for his wit and intelligence, his arrogance was now all I could see.

Feeling powerful, a few minutes later, when I saw yet another post criticizing Obama, another one got the axe. I was rollin', Lord!

Later still, in response to a video I had posted, a friend described liberals as "snarky, self-absorbed, dishonest, hypocritical and utterly intolerant." Pissed me off. Fired him, too.

But here's the thing, Lord...

Fueled by the few "likes" I'd received for posting "Buh-bye" after the guy's hate-filled post, I realized that, since I'd unfriended him, he wouldn't be able to see my clever farewell. Now, you know what a dick I can be, Lord...I switched my privacy settings on that post to "public." Sure enough, he saw it. First he said he was crushed. Then we got to arguing. He tried to say his comments hadn't been personal, but who did he think was reading them? Well, anyway, we argued back and forth a bit. He self-righteously pointed out that I was being immature and that he wasn't.

Now, as you know, I didn't sleep well last night. Shall we say the Holy Spirit convicted me? Wasn't I being just as self-righteous as the people I'd been striking from my friends list? I know I have the right to choose my friends, but was my changing the privacy setting on that one post maybe just a little mean and petty? (Remember how I tried to rationalize it by saying, But I want it "public" so more people can see the video? I knew you wouldn't buy that, Lord.)

Suddenly I remembered why we'd become friends in the first place. I woke up this morning thinking I might have to write him a note asking his forgiveness.

Then I logged on and saw another snarky attack he'd made on someone else I like. Our unfriendship shall stand.

Guess I'm still a work in progress, Lord. But damn, I really don't feel very good about this. Just sayin'.

Amen.







4 comments:

Cindy Ricksgers said...

It is SO difficult, right now, when the mean-spirited election is so fresh, and disappointment is so raw, and fear for our future under this [wack-job of a]leader is so real, to listen to people saying, "just let it go," and "quit whining" and "poor loser." It has nothing to do with "our" candidate losing. That was a real disappointment, yes. What we are dealing with, though, is actual concern for our country, our people, our future. What we want, I think, is simple reassurance...that Trump WILL get his priorities in-line, that - even if his ideas and mine do not match - he will move forward in a presidential (as opposed to fuhrer-istic) manner, that every person that voted for him, for whatever reasons, did it in spite of his rants and not because of them. Instead, what I'm hearing too much of is, "shut up and quit being such a baby." I feel your pain, Kate. I bite my tongue one hundred times a day to stifle my urge to yell. I sure understand.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cindy. You said so well what I feel about this not being just about losing the election. It's so much more that. I do need to practice biting my tongue, though. I really am getting tired of arguing.

Unknown said...

I feel bad that it was my back-and-forth arguing with him that set you off.

I just keep thinking that this was not an election with a Republican vs Democrat, or Conservative vs Liberal, or Peacenik vs Warhawk. This was a referendum on decency and we ALL lost. Bigly.
Our candidate might have lost but that is not why we are angry or fearful. It is dthe president-elect's associations with avowed racists, and his own words of hate that make us fear for this country. There is a very valid reason why that video resonated with us, she is telling the truth. YOU (dear Trump voter) might not consider yourself racist, but if you are voting for the candidate endorsed by the KKK, The American Nazi Party, and the White Nationalist Party, well...
If the jackboot fits, wear it. If not, fight against it.

Unknown said...

True words! And please don't feel bad about your exchange on my timeline. I always welcome--and usually applaud--your comments!