Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Duke Day



Today was Duke Day--the day My Awesome Husband Greg and I spent at Duke Medical Center so I could have my pulmonary function tested, and some other fun stuff.

We checked in at 7:30 for an 8:30 cardiac MRI. Quite a procedure, especially the getting-ready part. How fortunate that we hadn't needed all the time we'd allowed for potential pre-holiday traffic tie-ups.

From things I'd heard, I was apprehensive about the MRI, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable. And I now know for certain that I am not claustrophobic. I was a little concerned when I heard the part about holding my breath, imagining those obnoxious pulmonary tests where they make you exhale until you have no air, and then yell "Hold your breath!" But instead, I was instructed by a soft voice in my ears, accompanied by classical music, to inhale, exhale and then stop breathing--but only for a few manageable seconds. The obnoxious kind would come later, but this was a fine way to a begin a long day of being stuck and prodded.

Then there was blood work, a chest x-ray and the dreaded breathing tests. The finale was a consultation with Dr. Ali from the Transplant Team, where I received the day's results.

I really don't know the best way to tell you this, so I put it on a shirt...


At first glance, the MRI showed my heart function is normal. The chest x-ray indicated no new scar tissue. As the good doctor pointed out, there is so much scar tissue in both lungs, there simply isn't room for any more, so I no longer have to worry about that. My lung function is still holding at 39 percent. That's also good news. But here's the glitch: My oxygen saturation has dropped a little. Dr. Ali seems to feel like it's time to discuss actually putting me on the transplant list. Not that anything is likely to change within the next few months, but we should start thinking about. I guess he means in some new way, since I've been thinking about it for quite a while now.

I'm not panicking. I to back to see the Pulmonary Team in January. Meanwhile, I feel good, can do almost everything I want, and get out of doing a lot of stuff I don't.

And tomorrow is Thanksgiving! I wish you all a full and joyous Holiday with your families and loved ones! I love you all!

8 comments:

Cindy Ricksgers said...

I love you, too, Kate...Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of your family. I'll be thinking good thoughts that all comes out all right in January.

Susan Payne said...

Happy Thanksgiving to your sweet family, Kate! Love you all and will pray for the best possible outcomes for your January visit. Hugs!

Shadows Thoughts on Stuff said...

The good news is that you don't have to be on the list. Oh btw- i am keeping you on my friends list- just saying

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cindy And Susan! I so appreciate your prayers and positive thoughts! And thank you, John--I definitely want to stay on that list! Happy Thanksgiving!

richard chisholm said...

I'm glad you don't need to be in Panic Mode. Very glad you are feeling good. And really happy we are still 'friends'. Hoping that you and Greg have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Joan Snoddy said...

I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Prayers & hugs to you.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Rick. I'm happy, too. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Joan. I very much appreciate prayers and hugs. Happy Thanksgiving!