Monday, November 14, 2016

Ommmmmm?



Maybe I need a mantra. The concept of meditating appeals to me, but I've never been able to achieve that cross-legged position where you place your feet on your inner thighs and keep your back straight at the same time. Don't you need to be able to do that to open up your chakras or something? I can get my legs crossed with my feet under my calves, but then they fall asleep and I have to stretch them out.

Still, I might like a mantra...

Focus...No, that seems too obvious. Besides, if you say it softly a bunch of times in a row, it sounds like you're saying something else.

One thing...Maybe. But again, it's the multiple repetitions that trip me up. Try it. It kind of makes your lips stumble. Besides, it makes you look like a fish.

I discarded Concentrate right out of the gate because it has too many syllables. And it's sibilant. That makes is distracting for people like me, who lapthe into lithping occasionally. (See what I mean?)

Words like Pickle and Flicker are fun to say. I'll keep those on the list, but I feel like I need something with more depth. What is the purpose of meditating, after all, if it's not about getting deep?

So while I may not be able to assume the position, I have decided that I definitely need a mantra. One that I can say as I move from task to task--something to help me stay "on task." You know, where you finish one thing before you start another. I've heard that there are people who do that. I feel like they must know some secret tactic that I'm not privy to. Perhaps it's the mantra.

Half-hour. Half-hour. Half-hour.

That's it! Two easy, soft-sounding syllables. Half-hour. Do it with me--it's almost like breathing! And a half-hour is the amount of time it took me to write this. I think I'm on to something. I'll let you know how it works.

No comments: