Thursday, November 17, 2016

From Mourning to Morning



In darkness, I went to my bed.
"We'll know by morning," I said.
Sleep came slowly.

In shadows, I slid to the floor.
Softly, I opened the door.
Surely she'd won...

Groggily, I turned on TV.
"Trump Wins." The words bludgeoned me.
We had it wrong!

In mourning for what we had lost,
I glumly considered the cost.
What had we done?

And then...


With the morning, came a faint light,
Even though I still felt the night.
There must be hope.

A phrase started then in my head.
We're stronger together it said.
Words she gave us!



And here's the part that doesn't rhyme...

I tried to convince myself that this would somehow be all right. In the past, I've been an advocate of If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. It usually works. But not this time. What we can't change are the all of the ugly, venomous words that have spewed out of our president elect's mouth. The hatred in his soul has entered my soul, making my stomach roil and my head hurt. Could I possibly change the way I thought--felt--about those words?

The answer is No!

I honestly tried. I told myself he deserved a chance, a new start. Maybe he could change...

His prospective cabinet choices indicate that he will not change.

He will be our next president, barring the miracle I'm still praying for. We will owe him our support, I suppose. When we can give it. However, we can never support policies that discriminate against any members of our society. Too many have fought and died to make this country great. We have a debt to them, and to those who are now frightened--rightfully--of his bullying tactics. We must stand with and protect our nation and its people--all of its people--in any ways that we can.

We can move on, but we cannot "get over it." We don't want to!









No comments: