Monday, November 28, 2016

No One to Blame But Myself



Earlier today I spent an hour writing a post called "Blaming Donald Trump." I left it posted for about an hour, then deleted it.

I remember being told "If you haven't got something nice to say, then don't say anything at all." Saying nothing at all has always been difficult for me, but I could usually get by with saying something else entirely. Lately, however, I have completely ignored that sage advice, saying whatever I felt, whenever I felt like saying it. Well, maybe not in person, but certainly on facebook, and in this blog.

But this morning it wasn't my intention to be nasty. I thought I had written a witty, self-deprecating explanation of why I've wanted to unfriend myself lately. Then, as I was showering, I was "convicted." Not only was my post not very funny, it deprecated a lot of other people besides myself. I realized some people would have already ready read it, but I couldn't wait to get back down here and hit "delete post." Of course once I've hit "publish," that's about as easy as unsaying something you hope no one heard.

Now I would like to give blame where blame is due. I'm taking full responsibility for being a person that I don't like very much. (It was tempting for me to type "for becoming" that person, but I realize that I haven't become anyone that I haven't always been.) I don't want to be that person anymore.

No, I'm not accepting any kind of bullying or discrimination as okay. I will not tolerate it when I see it, and I will do whatever I can to ensure that it doesn't happen. But instead of putting out any more of the kind of negativity that is choking our hearts, I want to make an effort to embrace the beautiful words of Michele Obama--"When they go low, we go high."

A lofty goal, I know, but goals are good to have, right?


No comments: