Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Feeling Family


I recently wrote a post called "The Memory Keeper" about my sister, Karen, and what her scrapbooking has meant to our family.

At Karen's wedding in 1989--Kate, Bev, Karen, Mark, Melissa and Jason.

Thanksgiving is in a couple of days, and I am happy that my brother, Mark, and some of his family will be here with us. But most of our family will be in Michigan, with some in South Carolina,Tennessee, California and Washington. It's been a very long time since we have all been together for a holiday. I really, really miss that.

Today, I opened Karen's scrapbook, "Siblings," and read her introduction. Her words mirror what I feel in my heart whenever I think of my family...

"Siblings...I can't imagine life without them. Of course when I was young, I envisioned being an only child as the best of all worlds. But what did I know? I was just a kid. When I think that Mom had five of us in eight years, I am so amazed we all made it out alive! And then a sixth baby 20 years after the first one--not so easy I bet. Also amazing how they worked all those jobs just to keep us fed and clothed--again, not so easy.

"So, having siblings isn't always an easy life, but it is certainly the best life. I am so grateful to have five siblings to count on, to enjoy and to have shared a childhood and history with."

She wrote that in 2006. We lost Melissa in the summer of 2014--a loss that hit us all much harder than we ever could have imagined when we were young and bullet-proof--and together.


Missy was born in 1960, when I was eight.


First, we were "The Three Girls," Bev, Karen and Me.

Then came Mark, followed by Melissa.


When I was 19 and Missy was 11, there was Baby Jason--truly everybody's baby.

I love these guys more than I can say. I hope they know it. When I count my blessings on Thursday, they will be at the top of my list. We will be together in our hearts. Mom, Dad and Missy, too. I feel guilty sometimes for having such abundance in my family.










2 comments:

Cindy Ricksgers said...

This is wonderful! You made me feel it, too! Yesterday, Brenda, Cheryl and I went grocery shopping and out to lunch. Tonight Brenda and I are getting a head start on some of the Thanksgiving meal preparation. Tomorrow, Amy, Robin, Cheryl, Brenda and I are going to Bingo together - because Mom loved it and because my nephew Bob is working it - and I thank God for every bit of it. I KNOW how lucky I am! Best wishes to you, Kate, for a very happy holiday!

Unknown said...

Oh, and I hope your family has a wonderful holiday, Cindy! I'm so glad you're able to be together!