Saturday, November 21, 2015

Counting My Stressings



I have moments of deep appreciation every day, but this is the time of year when I become acutely aware of how much I have to be thankful for. It's also the time of year when my blessings become stressings.

I have so much. There is nothing that I need or want that I don't have. I know it is wrong to allow the busyness of this season make me crazy and impatient and rude, when there are so many who would give anything to have my "stressings." A goal that is ever before me is to become the kind of person who gets things done in proper order so she can then relax and feel grateful and loving and generous. That said, it seems like some things never change...

1. It is the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The house needs to be dusted and mopped and vacuumed and scrubbed, including the refrigerator and stove. Things need to be put in their proper places so that they can be found when they are needed on Thursday.

2. It is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and my brother is bringing a deep-fried turkey (for which I am especially grateful). A Honey Baked Ham has been ordered and everyone is bringing dishes to pass, but someone has to come up with a plan so that arrivals and serving times are coordinated. (Did I mention that our guest list includes three dogs?)

3. It is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and we need to be sure we know exactly how many people are coming, and that we have enough places for everyone to sit, and enough dishes and silverware for everyone to have their own place setting.

4. It is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and since I don't bake, pies--wonderful pies--need to be ordered from the cafeteria. Pumpkin, coconut, chocolate cream...

5. It is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and I have made a commitment to write a new post for this blog every day in November. It is a commitment I do not take lightly, and my obsessive nature will not let me miss a day. That is why I am here, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, typing a blog about all of the things I have to do before Thanksgiving.




6 comments:

Shadows Thoughts on Stuff said...

thanksgiving will be alone this year. with the kids the following weekend.
enjoy your family and friends
J

Unknown said...

Thanks, John. We have room for one more if you make the drive!

Cindy Ricksgers said...

Ugh, I feel your stress! I am always putting off until near panic drives me to get things done. Good luck with all of it!

Leslie said...

ok, you're getting a good start on your book.
when do you publish?
I love your writings!

Unknown said...

Yes, we are definitely kindred spirits, Cindy. I am so enjoying your posts. Thank you for reading mine.

Unknown said...

Thank you for having confidence in me, Leslie -- I love you!