Friday, June 5, 2009

On the Road Again...

"These Shoes are Made for Running," a mirror-image photo
made by Kate's LRDC, May 2009



When I first began writing this blog back in September, one of my first posts was about running ("Jogging," 9/14/08). When I wrote about it, I was no longer doing it, due to my Oxygen Deficit Disorder. And while I waxed nostalgiac about my early days of running, I didn't think I was actually going to miss it, as long as I was able to get out and walk -- and continue clogging, of course.





Now, some nine months later, I can honestly say that I haven't missed running. I'll admit that I was pretty upset for a while (during my blue-fingers phase), thinking that I might have to give up walking and clogging...or else learn to incorporate an oxygen tank into those activities; but I barely gave a backward glance at that other activity in which I had once so obsessively participated.





Recently, however, seeing my young (like I used to be -- and I do miss that!) neighbors heading out for (but more often, returning from) their morning runs, and reading their (http://www.rayfieldrambles.blogspot.com/) -- and others' (http://www.thetypingmakesmesoundbusy.com/) -- blog entries about running (including marathons!) has made me acknowledge a pang or two. I even began to wonder if I remembered how to run, should the urge ever overtake me...


And actually, it turns out that I do remember! This has nothing to do with speed and grace, mind you. I'm simply saying that I can remember what makes running different from walking. The main difference, of course, is that in running, there's a moment (for some of us, a very brief moment) when neither foot is on the ground. (Do not confuse this with flying; you'll only be asking for trouble.)



Yes, one day last week, feeling fairly confident that indigo fingers are now part of my past, I actually alternated between having one and none on the ground for a while. (Feet, that is.) And you know what? Having no feet on the ground actually felt kind of good! (Nothing like flying, of course --but for me, almost as dangerous, since gracefulness is also part of my past.)



Ahhh, the memories. Wonder if I'll ever work my way up to another marathon (the last one being October 1981)? Well, you know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words...





"After the Marathon," October 1981, Bell Isle (Detroit)



I don't think so!

































No comments: