Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The "Book" Group...


"The Intimate Book Group," l-r: Frances Moore, Mary Elizabeth Kiester and Marilyn Brenneman, May 2009 (Kate's LRDC)

Well, I've blogged about books a time or two, and I know I've mentioned my "book group" at least three times -- on each of these ladies' birthdays. This October will mark 20 years since I first attended the book discussion group at the Southwest branch of our library. That branch no longer exists, and Marilyn and I are the only two remaining members of the original group. But since first, Frances, then Mary Elizabeth joined us, and since we stopped meeting at the library and began meeting at one another's homes (probably more than ten years ago), we truly have become an intimate book group...

We're a book group where it doesn't even matter if you've read the book; there'll be plenty of other things to discuss. (Sometimes so much so that we barely have time to mention what we've read!)

We're a book group where, even if you don't like what you've read, you'll love the snacks. And you'll never leave hungry!

We're a book group where, if you happen to walk past the door of the little sitting room where we now gather, you'll be asked if you'd care to join us -- and we don't even care if you can read!

Truly, this group has become so much more than a book discussion group, it's hard to describe. And hard to believe how long we've been getting together -- mostly once a month (Occasionally we go a bit longer, if someone can't meet -- We rarely get together without full membership present!) -- to talk about books, families, trips, joys, troubles, recipes -- sometimes even politics and religion!

I love reading, I love books (and I have plenty of them that I haven't read!) and I really, really love these ladies! Together they are one of the blessings in my life for which I am most grateful!

No comments: