Saturday, May 30, 2009

5/31 -- If Today is Your Birthday...






...If today is your birthday, believe me when I say that I have had an absolute ball going through old photographs, trying to find this specific one!


*



Jane Abruzzo and Kate Fischer, circa 1980, modeling their $9.00 After-the-Prom Sale dresses. (To give credit where credit is due, I lifted the quotes from my Anne Traintor "2009 Engagement Calendar.)



*



...If today is your birthday, you and Tony were such a huge part of Greg's and my Early Years that, no matter how infrequently we see each other now, we will always think of you as The Best Friends!


*



...If today is your birthday, there were not too many life-changing events that the four of us did not share; that much is evident from the ones we apparently considered "photo ops." (Okay, so we weren't at each others' weddings, but that's about it...For everything that followed, we were there!) In fact...


*


...If today is your birthday, Our Memorable Moments With the Abruzzos would be a pretty sizable volume...if only my memory were better! (Don't worry...I wasn't going to blog about everything, anyway!)


*


...If today is your birthday, what I do remember well -- and still love -- is your wonderful laugh! (We must have been very funny back then, because I can remember a lot of laughing!) Of course one of my favorite "Jane's Laugh" events was the day before you had Gina...Do you remember Meagan sitting on Greg's lap, driving all over Dryden's washboard trails, hoping to induce your labor? (I know it didn't happen until many hours later, but that was some pretty productive laughing you did that day!)


*



...If today is your birthday, as I'm reliving the past, I realize that what I wrote earlier about being privy to all of each others' "life-changing events" was unequivocally true -- I can think of absolutely nothing that was fun or sad or exciting or uneventful or dangerous or exciting or scary or boring or uplifiting or fulfilling or -- well, whatever -- without thinking of you! You were such a big part of it all, that I can't believe I've survived our fateful separation -- which was pretty life-changing in itself! (I can remember that at the time, I wasn't really sure that I would survive!)


*



...If today is your birthday, of course survive we did...and even went on to create some more memorable, significant (and unsignificant) events...Remember that first time we came home -- unannounced -- to visit, and enlisted Bev to help us sneak up into your bedroom while you were showing off Brand-New-Baby Liz in your basement. (Alas, my failing memory doesn't let me recall why you were keeping her in the basement. Oh well...) It seems like Greg, Meagan and I were stuck there, giggling in excited anticipation of being dis-covered, for hours before Bev finally persuaded you to give her a tour of The Townhouse! (And Liz, if you're reading this, that's what I remember of the first time I ever laid eyes on you...You were only weeks old, yet they still let me hold you!)


*


...If today is your birthday, I almost can't believe I'm brazen enough to dump a "Birthday Blog" on you, when I haven't even sent you a card in years! But I am so looking forward to another trip to Michigan in the coming months, and I just wanted you to remember, too...before we get together to share some more Moments -- and laughter -- Please let there be lots of that, too!






Happy Birthday, Jane!



We'll Love you Forever!




1 comment:

Puck58 said...

We just read it and both loved it!!! My mom is speechless. She loves the picture and is still a TOTAL slut. No, but seriously, she wanted me to tell you that she's so humbled that you would do this for her. She misses you so much and feels exactly the same way you do about your shared past! She can't wait to hopefully see you again soon and catch up on laughs and relive old memories. Thanks again, so much, Kate!! You're a true friend. All the Abruzzos miss all the Fischers so much.