Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5/5 -- If Today is Your Birthday (Part II)...

The Karlek Boys -- Mark, Tom and Jason, August 2007, by Karen Branson
*
...If today is your birthday, you are, of course, my Adorable Baby Brother Jason!
*
...If today is your birthday, every year on this date I like to reminisce about the way your arrival was made known to me. You've heard the details many times, I know, but please bear with me...
*
...If today is your birthday, I was alone in my apartment, getting ready for work, whenst came a knock upon my door. It was none other than my Future Awesome Husband Greg, and what glad tidings he had come bearing: My mother had had a baby boy -- a big fat, fluffy wonderful baby boy -- and we named him You!
*
...If today is your birthday, upon hearing such glad tidings, I said, "Screw work!" and I didst immediately set off on foot (for I had no other means of transportation -- c'mon, I didn't even have a telephone!) in the opposite direction to buy some celebratory donuts. (I had a feeling my co-workers would forgive my tardiness when they smelled my goods and heard my news, and I was right.)
*
...If today is your birthday, I hope you know you hold a very special place in my heart. I just love you beyond explanation -- but I guess that's what families do. I so wish I could spend more time with you -- like when we used to keep you and your pet spider in our basement so I could visit you any time I desired. Alas, times change, and now there are about 700 miles that keep us apart. But just know that I'm wishing you a really wonderful birthday...One where you can truly
*
Be One with Your Dessert!



Max and Jason Being "One With Their Dessert," Sandusky OH, by Karen
*
Happy Birthday, Jason!
We love you!
*
Editorial Note: I couldn't! I tried to get the photo caption to appear under the photo, but it insisted on staying right where it was -- ridiculously squeezing itself into a space too small for a mere three-letter word. So be it. I have other things to do today!

No comments: