Monday, November 17, 2008

My Brother Blog

Mark (left) and Jason, Michigan, circa 1973.


I have two brothers. Two very cute, very funny brothers, whom I love beyond all logical explanation. They don't do anything to earn my love. I simply adore them because they are mine. (Hey, doesn't that sounds like something God might say? Cool!)

Actually, I feel the same way about my sisters and my kids. My friends and my husband, too -- except my husband has to work for it sometimes.

Anyway, I love my brothers, and I don't see them often enough. Jason lives in Michigan now, but even when he lived in North Carolina I didn't see him enough. Same with my friends and my sisters. (I must say, however -- and I say it with a great deal of affection -- that I do see my husband as much as my heart desires.) Unfortunately, we just somehow let ourselves get too busy, and our priorities get out of whack. Even though Mark is only about 45 minutes away in Mocksville, we can't seem to get together more than a few times a year!

Of course whenever Dad would visit us in North Carolina (both before he moved here from Michigan, and after he moved back), it would be one great big orgy of brotherly love and revelry. That's when the funny would come in. Sometimes I would laugh so hard at those boys, I would be in physical pain. Ah, I miss those times -- almost as much as I miss Mom and Dad. (Sigh.)

As a matter of fact, the last time we laughed so hard was the day before my Dad's funeral in January. We were all together at Karen's house, going through old photographs, letting the memories begin to work their healing. (Take, for example, the picture of Mark and Jason above -- Can't you just see how much Jason adores his big brother -- and vice versa?) Before long, we were all outside in the freezing cold setting up a re-shoot. Look...


Mark (left) and Jason, Lake Shannon, January 2008.

Can't you just see how much Jason adores his big brother -- and vice versa?

Yep. I love my brothers. This is the month of Thanksgiving, and they are two of the blessings I will be counting next week!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww, it was everything I hoped it would be...and I feel exactly the same way. I actually think I see Mark more times per year than Jason. What's up with that?

Love, youreverlovingsister