Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If Today is YOUR Birthday...

Kevin & Erin Richardson, Alex and Natalie, with Grandma Deb (holding Natalie)
Back Row -- Mik and Grandpa Lew, Grand Rapids, MI, Summer 2008, by Greg





...If today is your birthday, then you are special because you are the very first niece I ever had -- Erin!




...If today is your birthday, then your daughter, Natalie, has a birthday tomorrow, and Alex (her brother) had his on October 6. (So Alex and Natalie get to share your birthday blog.)



...If today is your birthday, I can remember how totally awesome it was to visit you for the first time after your mom and dad brought you home to your apartment -- how overwhelming it felt to hold you. You were so beautiful and smart...You set the bar pretty high for the rest of the kids that would follow, you know!




...If today is your birthday, I remember more of your "babyhood" than I do of your later years...only because we moved so far away while you were young. But those are wonderful times for me to remember...




...If today is your birthday, you were more like a big sister than a cousin to Meagan, who came along two years after you arrived. We all did so many things together...But I especially remember getting the two of you (and later, after Andrea came along, three of you) dressed up like little dolls and taking you to K-Mart or J.C. Penney, trying to get you to smile at the same time for the camera. (I guess I remember so well because we have plenty of photographic evidence!)




...If today is your birthday, I'm so glad that we are the kind of family that doesn't let geographical distance create emotional distance; that through visits, phone calls and exchanged photographs, we've been able to somewhat keep track of you and your sister as you grew -- even though we were no longer able to get together every weekend.




...If today is your birthday, I've been privileged to watch you grow from a bright, precocious toddler to a beautiful, compassionate young woman. It was such a pleasure to be there when you married Kevin, and now, to be able to share a little bit in your life as a young, growing family, thanks to e-mail and photographs...



Below: Alex (w/Papa Leo), Right: Alex comforting Natalie, July, 2008 (by Greg)







...If today is your birthday, I know you are the very best kind of teacher -- the kind who truly loves the children who are lucky enough to be placed in your care. And I know that your own two precious children are blessed indeed to have you for their mom!

...If today is your birthday, then I hope the day brings you just much fun as those childhood birthdays that I remember so well. (Although I'm sure that celebrating Natalie's tomorrow will be even more fun for you!)



Happy Birthday, Erin! We love you!

(Note: I tried -- I really tried -- to get the typing between the two photos at the bottom to show up below the photos. Trust me, Readers -- the appearance of this post bothers me more than it bothers you!)

No comments: