Thursday, April 2, 2009

4/2 -- If Today is Your Birthday...

*



Alison and Dawn, Bahamas, June 2004 (by Kate Fischer)


...If today is your birthday, you are a neice with whom I really haven't spent very much time -- especially in recent years, when your pursuit of higher learning took you first to Virgina and then to Australia!



...Oh, if today is your birthday, I guess we actually did have an entire week of cruise time together, as evidenced by this really awesome photo I took of you and your mom . Of course you were so drunk that entire time, you probably have only the vaguest of memories...Okay, of course I'm kidding about that; but still -- It was a cruise!



...If today is your birthday, I really would love to spend some extended quality time with you so I could pick your brain about your costume-designing, your jewelry-making, books you've read, movies you've seen, interesting people you met and exciting adventures you had Down Under...Well, maybe some day -- like when you come to visit me in the nursing home. (You will visit me, won't you?)



...Oh, wait -- If today is your birthday, I just thought of one very awesome memory I have...It was another family trip, when you were about six or seven. It was Topsail Beach...Now you know what I'm going to say, don't you?...


...You and Dj had decided to just take off up in the beach, holding the hems of your nightshirts in your hands so they would contain the bagel crumbs you had so painstakingly crafted in order to feed the seagulls. (Or were you planning to leave a trail? I can't remember, but that's not important.) You couldn't have been gone very long before someone -- probably and adult -- said, "Where are Ali and Dj?" And since no one knew, we let our imaginations run wild. Or maybe that was just me. Whatever...This memory ended up being a happy one! We split up in opposite directions, and it was Aunt Deb who finally caught up with the two of you a mile away (the pier), just turning around to head back. I guess I was just so relieved I can't even remember if the two of you were reprimanded or not. (No need to worry now, though; the statute of limitations ran out on that one a long time ago!)



...If today is your birthday, you're about to embark on an another exciting chapter in your quest for knowledge, this time in Savannah. I love Savannah. And I love you. Maybe we'll manage a visit some day!



...If today is your birthday, I hope it is as bright and wonderful as you are!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALI!



WE LOVE YOU!


No comments: