Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Pieces of Christmas

This post is a variation on "I Found It!", December 23, 2008.





I'm missing some of the pieces. Important ones.

I'm not sure when I lost them, or whether I lost them all at once. Maybe I lost them piecemeal. I only know that I haven't had all of the pieces since the beginning of Advent this year. (You know -- that's the time when we're supposed to be getting ourselves ready for Jesus to be born again in our hearts; in other words, gathering up all the pieces.)

One of the pieces I'm missing is Solitude. My life is busy, and it is full of blessings disguised as my family and friends. These blessings keep getting in the way of my Solitude. And when I do think I may have found a small piece of it, I usually fall asleep. When I wake up, it's gone.

Of course without Solitude, I have nowhere to put my piece of Reflection, even if I find one. There is no quiet place inside of me. Instead, it's always noisy and confusing there.

That means I don't have a piece of the Calmness that comes from knowing that I need only trust God to accomplish the things that are important to Him. No. In the place where Calmness should be is a large piece of Anxiety. Anxiety that Christmas will come, and I'll still be searching for more pieces -- one more gift, one more decoration, one more project...

Tomorrow is the last Sunday of Advent. I will go to Mass with hope and faith, and pray that there I will find all of the pieces that are necessary for Peace.

I hope you are also finding all of your pieces of Peace this Christmas!

No comments: