Monday, September 22, 2008

(9/23) Today is Your Birthday, Mark!















(Kate Fischer 9/23/08 MSN Paint)

Today is your birthday, and I know you're really missing Dad because it's his birthday, too -- our first one without him.
Today is your birthday, and I want you to know that I can remember like it was yesterday (What's it been --51 years now?)...sitting beside Dad on the living room floor on Bowers Road, leaning back against that scratchy rose-colored sofa, him telling me "Yep -- A son. That's about the best birthday gift she could have given me."
Today is your birthday, and I hope someone will fix you a soft-boiled egg. Oh -- and cake. There should definitely be cake.

Today is your birthday, and I hope you will banish all memories of your sisters making you wear a dress and wig and calling you Margaret. (But you were cute!)

Today is your birthday, and I hope you will have a fabulous celebration with your family (complete with a huge bonfire), even if you have to wait until the weekend to do so.

Today is your birthday, and I hope you get at least one card from a sibling that arrives on time. (And I hope you know it won't be from me.)

Today is your birthday, and I love you very much. (I just hope you know that, because I may not always be able to show it.)

Finally, today is your birthday and I hope you know that you're not alone in missing Dad. However, I know he's having a good one, and here's hoping you will, too!

I love you, Mark! Happy Birthday!

No comments: