Tuesday, September 16, 2008

...and Blogging



When I was 56 (almost), I began blogging. I didn't really think much about it. I was checking my sister's blog (which she began about a year ago) to see if she had posted anything new. She hadn't, but the link that said "Start your own blog" captured my attention. I went there, and now I'm here. This is only my fifth post, but I'm pretty sure I like being a "Blogger."
(My sister's blog can be found at http://www.alexisalldonescreaming.blogspot.com/.)
Before I became a blogger, I was an e-mailer, using that medium to chronicle things that would have more appropriately been written in a journal. I used to write in journals. But who has time for that now? We have the Internet!

I've asked my husband (and perhaps a few other people, but I don't remember what they said) this question: "In your mind, as you go about the daily business of living , do you think of yourself as being a performer?" What I meant was, do you imagine there's an audience of some type watching your every move, anticipating your every thought and waiting -- sometimes with baited breath -- to see what you'll do next? He said "I've always felt that life is a performance." I think that's a yes.
So as I blog (as when I e-mail), I am, in my mind, writing for a large -- make that vast -- audience, numbering perhaps in the millions. But probably more like thousands. Way more than a hundred, anyway. My readers log onto "bowlofchairies" each day as they enjoy their first cup of coffee. (All of my readers love coffee, although they will occasionally drink tea to be polite.) They anxiously wait (some of them don't have high-speed) for the now familiar green border to appear on their screen. And they breathe a collective sigh of relief (well, some of them do) when they see that there's a new post.

That's why I'm here this morning. I really have nothing to say, but I didn't want to let all those good people down...

As I sit at my keyboarding a-blogging,
I'm glad that I'm not out there a-jogging.
I'm not that insane --
It's pouring down rain;
So today I'll stay indoors a-clogging!

(Sometimes I digress by writing limericks.) I hope all of my readers have a nice day.

"Blog" by Kate Fischer, September, 2008, MSN Paint

No comments: