Saturday, September 13, 2008

Bowls and Chairies




Why "Bowl of Chairies?" Well, I love the artwork of Mary Engelbreit, and as far as I know, she actually coined the spoonerism, "Chair of Bowlies." (It's probably copyrighted, too, but we won't get into that here.) Anyway, when I recently found myself faced with the challenge of coming up with a name for my blog, that was the first thing I thought of. Unfortunately (and to my surprise), I was informed that chairofbowlies was "unavailable." Presumably because someone else was already using it. Hmmmm and drat! Oh well -- I tried the non-spoonerism version bowlofchairies, which actually flew.

My next step, of course, was to see if I could log onto chairofbowlies' blogsite...If I remember correctly, someone named Diane entered exactly three posts under that name, some time between 2004 and 2006. In one of her posts, she did give credit to Mary Engelbreit, which inspired me to do the same here, but other than that, I can see no reason for her to invoke squatter's rights to a phrase in which I've always had a proprietary interest. (It is a proprietary interest if you can say, "I wish I'd thought of that," isn't it?)

In any case, no point in crying over stolen spoonerisms, is there? From now on, I will take a proprietary interest in bowls of chairies and move forward...


No comments: