Friday, December 9, 2016

Family Pictures




I come from a long line of amateur photographers. My grandfather had a camera that he could set on a timer and capture moments like this. Apparently there was just enough time for him to jump into the picture, but not to say "Smile!" (That's my mom, second from the right in the front row. I'm stunned by how much Karen looks like her.)




This one from Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's in 1963 holds so many memory triggers...The red couch, the blond two-level end table with the iconic fish lamp and The Last Supper hanging in the dining room--even Aunt Cathey in her holiday apron. I can still see my grandmother sitting at the table playing solitaire, Jesus and the Apostles keeping watch.




We have an abundance of photos of my sisters and my brother Mark and me, either posing in front of a Christmas tree or wearing new pajamas and clutching new toys. (Sometimes, like in this one, all three elements are present.)




But this one from the 70's is the only one I've come across that stretches far enough to include my brother, Jason, who was born when I was 19.




That's why I was delighted when this one showed up on facebook the other day. It more than makes up for all those missing years.

Merry Christmas to families everywhere!


1 comment:

Swapna madhuri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.