Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Sixty-Four!



I'd be lying if I said that I remembered all of my birthdays. I just know there have been 64 of them because I've been keeping track, and a look in the mirror is all the affirmation I need to know that each one happened. Undoubtedly they were all fun and made me feel special, perhaps some more than others. A few were more memorable...

My fifth birthday dawned without my having a clue about what day it was. The sun was shining and it was warm enough to play outside if we put on our sweaters. That's what we were about to do with Aunt Fran and Uncle Joe, who had come for the day. But as we opened the door, there were Grandpa and Grandma. I didn't know they were coming! Grandpa handed me a wrapped package and said "Put this with the other ones."

Other ones? What other ones?!

Aunt Fran quickly whisked my present away and gave Grandpa a hard look. Then she carried the package into Mom and Dad's room and placed it on the bed, which was already heaped to the ceiling with "other ones."


Okay, maybe my mind has rewritten some of that. But I doubt there's anyone who can--or will--argue with me. I can still feel my excitement as I realized what was going on. I wasn't quick about it; it took several other "unexpected" arrivals, with more gifts and birthday wishes before I dared to hope. Mom had decided on a surprise party, not out of any desire to make my day even more special, but rather, because she knew that once I got a hint that my birthday was near--even if it was still six weeks away--she would not have a single peaceful moment. Not while I was awake, anyway.

My life has been rich with birthdays and celebrations--my own and the ones I've shared with people I love. My mind is loaded with memories of happy times. I want to hold on to all the ones I still have--the memories--but trust that if I misplace them, it will be because I needed to make room for new ones.

No comments: