Sunday, January 16, 2011

That Article I Referred To...

...You know, the one I mentioned in my previous post -- The one about five things worth admitting to...

"Okay -- I took the cookie -- I admit it!"


The first thing on the list is You don't have all the answers.

First of all, I have to admit that I don't even know why this made the list. Do people seriously have a problem admitting that they don't know something?

Okay. I guess I can see that some people do have trouble with this one. (Doctors, for example.) Not me, though. I love admitting that I don't know something. So much so, in fact, that sometimes I say it, even when it isn't true!

For example, to the question, "Why did you do that?" my answer is almost always, "I don't know." But often, I really do know. For example...

My Awesome Husband Greg: "Why do you insist on putting dirty pots and pans in the dishwasher?"

Me: "I don't know."

Truth: Because I didn't feel like washing them, and I knew if I put them in there, you'd rage about my incompetence, but then you'd take them out and wash them yourself (because I'm so incompetent).

Or...

MAHG: "Why don't you just clean up after yourself when you're through?"

Me: "I don't know."

Truth: Because it took me so long to find what I was looking for (because I have so much unnecessary crap) that I was running late by the time I found it, and I didn't have time to clean up!

See? No big deal. I like admitting that I don't know something.

Next on the list: You spent a small fortune on yourself.

All right. This is getting a little tougher. Even though I rarely buy anything that costs more than 20 dollars (and if I did, I wouldn't tell you), I hate admitting to MAHG that I spent any dollars on myself. I guess that's because he wears shoes until they have holes in them, while I have too many pairs to count. (But they were all on sale!)

Third item worth admitting to: Your house is usually a disaster area.

Ah. No problem here. My house is always a disaster area. I say it all the time. Every time someone comes to the door -- even the UPS guy. I don't have to say it; it's obvious. I just love admitting it.

Number 4: You're tired of hearing about it.

Well, I'm a little ambivalent on this one. I probably won't admit that I don't want to hear what you're saying because you've already told me a whole bunch of times. But I will tune you out.

I guess I can see the value of being honest, but I just can't hurt you that way. I know people listen to me say the same things over and over without letting on (unless I catch them rolling their eyes). I like to extend the same courtesy.

And last, but not least: Everything.

Got this one covered...In fact, it's my reason for blogging!

Truly, if there's something about myself that I don't want to admit (which there isn't, but if there was), I wouldn't bring it up as the subject of a blog. And although something might be hard to admit in conversation, if I can sit down and type it out, I'm likely to give even more information than was required.

Well, so I do that when I'm talking, too...There! See how readily I admitted that?

So what was the purpose of this little exercise? I don't know.

Maybe I'd like you to know that I'm a cheap, lazy slob who tries to be nice to people, and that I like to spew words -- especially words about myself -- all over the place; and when I saw an article about things that are good to spew, I couldn't resist using it as the subject of a blog. About me.

No comments: