Monday, January 3, 2011

January 4, 2011 -- Hi, Dad...

This is my dad with the first three of his six kids -- my sisters, Bev and Karen, and me -- circa 1956. (I'm the oldest.) This was taken at my Grandpa and Grandma Borg's house in Garden City, Michigan, probably by my mom. Whenever we had pictures taken with Dad, he would say silly things to make us laugh. You can tell he's saying something here, but it looks like Bev is the only one listening.





Hi Dad --

Boy, do I miss you! I can't believe it's been three years since I've actually seen you. I guess that's because it's never really felt like you left.

Of course right after Missy called to tell me that you were gone, all I could do was cry -- It was too quick! I felt like I needed to tell you goodbye or something!

But as soon as the shock wore off and it started to sink in that you really were gone, it hit me like a ton of bricks that it was okay, because I knew exactly where you were!

I even smiled, then, thinking of you landing on your butt right outside those renowned Pearly Gates, looking up at St. Peter and saying, "Well yeah, sure I want to stay. But what about those guys? Can I go back and hug them or something?"

Of course you didn't need to do that -- although I sure could have used a few more of your hugs -- I still need them!

Just like I really didn't need to tell you goodbye. (Although I sure am glad we talked on the phone a couple of days before you went!)

I don't think you had any unfinished business with anyone, did you, Dad? I like to say that you lived every day as if it were your last. (Oh, I'm not saying you were perfect -- I know you wouldn't want that -- I'm just saying that I like to tell people that, okay?)

I also like to tell people that when you died, I lost my best audience. Remember how we used to start and finish limericks for each other. I'm proud to say that it was you who fostered my love of that great art form -- the limerick! And it was you who made us kids love reading, and words! Crossword puzzles -- I so wish I had kept that New York Times one that we worked on together for a week -- and actually finished!

Well, Dad, we've finally arrived at what this whole thing has been leading up to...I wrote another limerick, just for you...


There once was a father I had.
(I lovingly called him "My Dad.")
If he were here,
I'd buy him a beer...
I miss him, yet I don't feel too bad.


You like how I did that...kind of started off serious, like it was going to be all sad or something, then threw in that surprise ending? Because that's how it is now. I'd give everything I own just to be able to spend a day with you -- and Mom -- again; but I feel really peaceful and good, thinking of where you are.

I'll see you again, Dad. I'm just glad you'll be with me until then.

Love you!

P.S. How 'bout those Lions?!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful blog! Your father sounds like an amazing person, and this was a loving tribute.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Deidre -- He really was a very special man!

Unknown said...

Dear Big Sister:

Must your writing ALWAYS make me cry??

Though I do agree w/Deidre that this IS a loving tribute and you ARE an amzing person.

However, do take note that in the photo I am the ONLY little darling actually paying attention to our Daddy. And THAT is precisely why he always liked me best.

Seriously, you've completely nailed our much-loved & much-missed father, described him perfectly!

As you do always when writing about everyone else that I love, so keep on bloggin' even if it makes me cry.

Love, Bev