Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mom...

January 27 -- Happy Birthday, Mom...



(My Mom, Rosemary Borg Karlek, and Me, 1952)



...I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you...Not just today...All the time.

I hope -- I mean, I know -- you know how much I love you and miss you.

You also know I'm a grandma now, too, don't you? That means you're a great-grandma! But then you already were a great grandma -- Just ask Meagan and Dj...any of the kids!

But of course, I'm talking about Charlie -- Charlotte Rose. I just love that she has your name as her middle name. (And that I do, too.) I remember the day Meagan was born, and you came in to see me just before I was wheeled away. I saw such love and concern on your face that I impulsively wanted to change our girl's middle name from Day to Rose. (It remained Meagan Day, but I'm so glad that Meagan chose Rose for her Charlie.)

I know you and Dad would both love the stuffing out of that baby girl -- who's now one year old! (She almost shared your birthday, too!) I always imagine myself telling you about all the silly, funny, sweet things she does, and I can hear your laugh so clearly...

There are so many ways I wish I were more like you, Mom, but that's one way I am like you -- You loved babies -- everything about them!

I think Meagan finds it a little strange that I love Charlie's feet so much, but I remember how you used to say that babies' feet are like fat little pin cushions. (Actually, I think maybe you said Grandma Karlek said that. And I guess it is a rather disturbing comparison. But you mentioned it because we were having a conversation about how adorable babies' feet are, and I remembered it!)

Oh, Mom, if you were here, what a celebration we would have for you and Charlie!

I miss you so much, I still cry sometimes, even though it's been almost ten years. I love when I dream about spending a day with you...In my dreams, we're always shopping and going out to lunch -- And there's always dessert!

We'll have birthday cake for Charlie on Sunday, Mom, and I'll be enjoying mine for you, too.

I don't have to say more, because you know...I love you forever and am so grateful for everything you are and have always been!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Dear Mom: Ditto to everything Kate has said about you, only more!

I too, miss you beyond description and still say goodbye to your picture every time I leave the house -- as I have done every single day since you've been gone.

I too, can still hear your laugh as clear as a bell and wish SO much you were still here to laugh at all the new stuff you're missing!

10 years’ time means nothing, Mom. You've never left my heart and never will.

Thanks, Kate for this beautiful remembrance.

As always, it's lovingly perfect. And as always, I'm crying.

Love, Bev