Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Oh Yeah -- About My Car (An Interim Blog)

Remember this?





It's my boring old Catera, mentioned here a few weeks ago (But How Observant Am I REALLY?...), just sitting quietly in our garage, minding her own business on a Sunday evening...

That was before she was taken from us by some unknown malfeasant(s) who had the audacity to walk into our garage, climb into the driver's seat, start the ignition and drive her off to who knew where until an entire week had gone by!

Yes, the garage door was left open, and yes, the keys were left in the ignition. What's your point? We were all in the house at the time!

The next time we laid eyes on our poor old girl, she looked like this:






Note: I do realize that the "before" picture does not show her rear window at all (nor much else, other than her left side), but trust me -- the window was intact when she was taken!

There were more photographs, but they make me sad so I decided not to show them here. Suffice it to say that, because of the condition of that rear window, a severe thunderstorm thoroughly soaked her interior. The inside of her trunk was also ripped apart, apparently to allow access to what was most likely the reason for her abduction in the first place: a leveling pump which is standard in all Cadillac models, and worth a few hundred dollars in some markets. (Who knew, right?)

Anyway, this won't be over for me until I have another car I can call "mine." And when I do have one, I'm sure I'll learn to trust and feel comfortable in whatever it is, just as I did my old silver girl. (And if it's red, like the rental car provided by Insurance for a couple of weeks, why I may even learn to love it -- as long as it also has a CD player! We'll just have to wait and see.)

Meanwhile, this is just to let you know that our stolen car has been found. Actually, only a couple of miles from here, in the parking lot of the apartment complex where Meagan lived right after she graduated from college. She had been covered up with a tarp (the car -- not Meagan), but the aforementioned storm took care of that. When someone finally noticed her sitting there with her window broken out and her insides exposed to the elements, they called the police.

Of course we have no idea who took our car. We probably never will. We...er, I mean My Awesome Husband Greg...jousted with the insurance company, appraisers and Cadillac dealers for about a week. A dollar amount was settled upon, and now we just have to wait.

For what?

Well, apparenty for MAHG to look at EVERY SINGLE USED CAR FOR SALE IN THIS COUNTY! He needs to do that, you see, before he can make a decision. And even though I will most likely be the person to drive whatever we end up with, I have given MAHG complete authority to make such a decision on my behalf. I simply cannot let myself be drawn into the process. I liked the first [red] car he showed me; the price was right; I said "Buy" and thought it was a done deal. That was over a week ago. Still, we wait...

No comments: