Sunday, April 9, 2017

Responsibility




Over the past few days, many of you have kindly shared a fundraising link for My Awesome Husband Greg and me. With the outpouring of love, prayers and support we have already received--including rides back and forth to rehab for me, it was difficult to ask for more. However, Duke wants to see that a genuine effort has been made to raise money before they will place me on the transplant list. The costs associated with the surgery and the necessary relocation to Durham afterwards are overwhelming, even with good insurance. I'm sure we're not the only family that has needed help. Still, I hated to ask.

On Thursday, I met with two surgeons--one who procures the organs, and one who transplants. Both of them were able to answer questions I didn't even know I'd asked. From them, I learned why this fundraising is so important. No, it's not just because Duke wants to be sure they get paid. To them, it is a very serious responsibility.

When Duke receives a gift of lungs from a family who has just lost a loved one, they have a responsibility to that family to be certain that the person receiving the lungs will give them the best possible care. They also have a responsibility to the person who is next on the list, who won't be getting those lungs. Unfortunately, if the recipient is unable to afford the costly drugs that are vitally necessary to prevent rejection, then the lungs will fail. They will have been wasted. A sobering thought, but it made me understand why Duke is so insistent on making sure that the money is there to pay for those drugs--especially that first year.

So if you have been able to contribute to Help Hope Live financially, Greg and I are extremely grateful. We are just as grateful for every kind word and offer of prayers and positive thoughts, for every virtual hug that has come our way. This truly is a journey, and we know that we are not making it alone. We are so thankful for the blessings of family and friends in our lives.

https://helphopelive.org/campaign/12677


2 comments:

Shadows Thoughts on Stuff said...

keep breathing

Unknown said...

I'm trying, John. Just need a little help from my friends--and a full thank of oxygen!