Sunday, April 30, 2017

A Propensity for Stemware



If you know me, you know how much I loved wine. I loved everything about it--the color, the smell, the taste, the glass from which it's sipped. And I loved the funny wine posts you've shared on my facebook timeline. My favorite:


Wife--I adore you. You mean the world to me. I can't imagine how I could ever live without you.

Husband--Is that you, or the wine talking?

Wife--It's me talking to the wine.



Alas, the love affair is over. I've had to give up many things because of my poorly performing lungs. Now, in order to get new ones, I must give up wine. Alcohol. I just turned my back and walked way one Saturday in February, and I've never looked back. It's as I've always insisted--"It's not that I need wine. I just like it."

I used to like it every day, in fact--sometimes twice. When the psychologist at Duke asked me during my evaluation how many days in the last month I had not had wine, my answer was "Less than one."

But I dumped it. It was a sacrifice, yes, but one worth making. The anti-rejection drugs I will be taking after transplant will be harmful to my liver, and they aren't going to need any help from alcohol. I understand, and Wine understands. It was an amicable parting.

But it turns out that Ido have a drinking problem...

The other day I found myself explaining what's so special about a wineglass to the same psychologist who caused my breakup. Just the sight of one of those fragile, elegant beauties signifies that it's time to let go of the day's troubles, to breathe deeply, sip and relax. She was concerned that I had replaced wine with "dealcoholized" wine--wine from which the alcohol has been removed by a special cone spinning process. But she was even more concerned when I assured her that I would quit that too--that I'd be happy to sip ginger ale or Ensure (see photo above) from my wine glass. She doesn't get it. I understand; she's young. But I don't see how my choice of glassware is a problem. I feel like my back is against the wall right now, but I don't think I'm going to let this one go. I will happily follow all the rules and regulations, all the dietary restrictions, all the exercise guidelines. I will take every single pill at the exactly prescribed time for the rest of my life. But I feel that I have to stand up for my right to choose my own glass!

Please vote for the wine glass!

Thank you!


4 comments:

richard chisholm said...

The wine glass has my vote.
I find myself looking at the wine glasses now sitting unused in the cabinet. The fact they are there is a comfort on days I feel down. Not that I used them, I'm not much of a wine drinker. But they were used. At least they are still there.
For you, you have done the healthy thing. You gave up the wine. The stemware may be good for your mental health. Stick with the glass. Savor the Ensure.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rick! I shall!

Cindy Ricksgers said...

I say, keep the glass! It makes a difference. I like my tea in a thin-walled, small and delicate tea cup. A mug of it is just not the same. When I have coffee in that cup - instead of the sturdy, larger mug that I usually use - the coffee-drinking becomes an "occasion."

Unknown said...

That is so true, Cindy. The wine glass signals that I must sip and savor. If I were to drink juice from a tumbler, my style would be more chug and gulp!