Monday, December 28, 2015

Taylor


Taylor and Saul at Macaroni Grill, Dec. 27, 2015.

"You'll love her, Mom. She'll remind you of me."

That's what my daughter, Meagan said when she called me from The Gap, where she was working that Sunday morning some fifteen years ago. Her friend, Gina, was also working that morning, but because of a babysitting glitch, had had to bring her two-and-a-half year old daughter to work with her. Meagan was calling to see if we wouldn't mind stopping by on our way home from church to pick Taylor up. Oh, and would we mind keeping her until Gina got off work that afternoon?

How could we mind? An adorable little girl who looked like our Meagan?

We went to The Gap. Meagan was right. Taylor had masses of dark curls and huge brown eyes just like our Meggie. But she was so tiny. At two, she looked to be about the size of Meagan at a year. I'm not used to tiny babies. I was enthralled. And by that afternoon, I was in love.

Taylor was quiet as her mom strapped her into her car seat and sent her off with a couple of strangers--My Awesome Husband Greg and me. She was quiet when we got to our house. My son, Dominic, who was about 12, had a friend over that day, and she seemed to enjoy entertaining and being entertained by them, but she didn't say a word. She helped herself to a ball of yarn that she found in a basket and wound it all around the house, then sat on Dominic and used it to bind his hands together. All we could do was laugh. She seemed drawn to Greg, whom she called "Grandpa." (Don't think he didn't love that.)

But Taylor pretty much ignored me. Until I had to change her diaper. Gina had warned us that she had had some orange juice, and had a pretty bad rash. It seemed that for that, I was the only one who could comfort her. I felt bad, but also wonderful at finally being allowed to hold that precious little girl and assure her that everything was okay.

That was the day we met. Yesterday, Taylor turned 18. She has a boyfriend now. She has received her first college acceptance letter. Today, she is getting her driver's license. I am waiting for her to come and borrow my car for her road test. I am happy to let her take it, as I am happy to have been a part of her life, and have her be part of mine.

Wherever you go, Taylor, and whatever you do, you will always have a piece of my heart. I love you.