Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Not Staying in Bed



Lying in bed, I have to confess
That I really don't know
If "lying" is the correct form of the verb, "to lie"
To use in this sentence.

The way I understand it,
To lie is what you do when you recline,
And to lay is what you do with something you hold.
Like a book.

Anyway, lying in bed,
I wondered how long I could stay there
Before some current obsession
Would beckon me.

Or the need for coffee.
Maybe a snack.
This looks like I'm writing a poem,
Doesn't it?

I did this once for my dad.
I wrote him a long letter
Broken up into "stanzas"
And told him it was a poem.

I thought that was very funny,
And so did he.
We often thought alike,
My dad and me.

Okay. That one actually did rhyme.
Not the rest, though.
That was just an accident--
What I like to call a "happy" accident.

Okay, so I've done some research.
Apparently, I cannot stay in bed all day--
Unless I become obsessed with
Staying in bed all day.

That would not be a good thing.
I have to go do something else now.
Lots of things, actually.
But I'll probably only do a couple.

I'm wishing you all
A productive day.
Or not--
Whichever will make you happiest.





2 comments:

Cindy Ricksgers said...

So happy to see this today...you're still writing!

Unknown said...

Haha. Obsessions don't just stop. You have to wean yourself gradually.