Monday, February 8, 2010

My Lost Weekend


"The Lost Weekend," 2/8/10 (Kate, MSN Paint)

Being sick is no fun. I know I really shouldn't complain, because except for this past weekend, I can't even remember the last time I was sick -- In spite of working with the public, in spite of having "compromised" lungs, and in spite of not getting a flu shot this year. So maybe I'm just being a big baby. But still...

Oh sure, I've had all the usual issues associated with inhaling toxic quantities of dust (and God knows what else) in My Very Own Fabric Store. Those I can deal with. That's why, when I came home from work on Saturday feeling like I'd been run over by a delivery truck, I just thought Oh, well, a couple hours of breathing uncontaminated air, and I'll be fine. And I went merrily along with My Awesome Husband Greg to play Wii Bowling with our friends.

And I did ok -- for some reason, I did much better throwing the "ball" under my leg or swinging it around my head a couple of times before releasing it -- for two games. Then I realized that my throat was hurting, I was shivering, and even my teeth felt bruised. I knew I was more than "overly tired."

By the time MAHG (who really is awesome, because he was having a fantastic time "bowling," yet he complained not at all about having to leave the party) got me home, I wasn't interested in washing my face or brushing my teeth. I managed to change into pajamas, because let's face it -- blue jeans do not make good sleepwear -- and climbed under the covers, having MAHG add a couple more for good measure. And I slept.

At some point Sunday morning I left my bed and found my way to the living room chair and a different pile of blankets. But that's all that changed. I stayed in that chair, in my pajamas, for the entire day. (MAHG, of course, brought me juice, water and acetaminophen, because that just how he is.)

And then I got up and went to bed again. And slept.

Today, I'm still a little feverish, but I did get up. I took a shower, washed my hair, and put on a clean pair of jeans. And some makeup. I did some laundry, and I did some office work for MAHG. (I figured I owed him at least that!) I still feel kind of lousy, and I'm still dosing myself with Tylenol, but I hope by tomorrow this will just be a memory.

Well, of course it won't be...I never remember when I'm sick. That's why it hits me so hard when it happens. But you know what I'm saying, right?

No comments: