Thursday, January 21, 2016

Blurred Lines



I have a memory. It's a nice one, but its edges are blurred. It feels like I'm looking at something without my glasses. I can see what it is, but not the details. When I look out my window first thing in the morning, I see a bush across the street surrounded by something white, and I imagine flowers. When I put on my glasses, I see white paint on the porch behind the bush. That's how this memory appears...

I am about nine or ten years old. There is snow on the ground--a lot of snow--and the sun makes it glitter like the front of a Christmas card. I am in a chair by the window, reading a book. The house is quiet, and I am content.

When I look at the picture in my mind, I can't tell if I'm actually sitting by a window reading on a snowy day, or if I'm reading a book in which the description of a snowy day is so vivid that I feel like I'm actually in it.

I've been thinking about memories--and memory--a lot lately. Pondering that picture of me reading by the window makes my brain hurt.

I recently shared a story about finding my dad putting together toys in the kitchen on Christmas Eve. In my telling, I said that I didn't know where my mom was; that Dad explained that Santa had dropped our stuff off and asked him to put it together. I wrote that it was Dad who preserved my Christmas fantasies of for several more years with that story. But I recently read back over older posts from Christmases past. In an earlier story, I had described that same Christmas Eve, but in that version, it was my mother who met me at the kitchen door and saved Christmas with the story of Santa asking for help. Both memories are real for me, although I realize the second one--the one where my mom is the hero--is more likely. Dad would have been too distraught at being called to elf duty to be able to come up with something that quickly.

So now I'm forced to wonder about all of my other vivid memories. How much of what I "remember" really happened, and how much have I written myself, and came to believe in my heart?

And how much does it really matter? If I were to list all of the memories of my childhood in two columns--one for happy ones and one for sad--the Happy column would take up many more pages than the Sad. I like it that way.

Truth is not only stranger than fiction, truth sometimes is fiction. And you probably shouldn't believe everything I tell you.


6 comments:

richard chisholm said...

True! I'm sure you've noticed the disclaimer on the title of my blog. Remember though, they are your memories, hand them down however it makes you feel better.

Cindy Ricksgers said...

I love this! I wonder about my own memories as well...when did I stop just "remembering," and start turning them into "story," and was the content altered by that shift? I honestly don't know!

Shadows Thoughts on Stuff said...

I too have memories that I know now as an adult could not be true but for many years they were etched into my mind as such. example is the one of all of us -- mom, me, Guy, Mark and Wayne having to sit tightly in a corner while dad jacked up the other side of the house to get the water out from under it. we were ballast I guess...as a kid I KNEW it happened..
Enjoy your writes here Kate

Unknown said...

Yes, your disclaimer makes me smile, Rick. Fortunately, no one else in my family remembers much more than I do. Thanks for reading.

Unknown said...

And isn't it grand to know we have so much company? Thanks, Cindy.

Unknown said...

Thanks, John. As you know, minds can be fun to mess around with.