Friday, September 11, 2015

It's Hard to be Humble

Note: The views expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. You should not expect anything else.





Facebook is not for the modest or the humble. Facebook is a forum for exhibitionists.

If you post it on Facebook, it's because you want people to know about it. What you're wearing, what you're eating, what you're thinking. Your religion, your politics, your disdain for humanity. Photos of your family, your vacations, your messy house, your feet.

If an exhibitionist is a person with a compulsive need to be noticed, then add my name to the list. That's the group I belong in. And this probably won't surprise you, either: I have reinvented myself for Facebook. If that is how you know me, then you don't really know me. The truth is, I am not always happy and friendly and funny. And I do not always present only the left side of my face, chin up, smiling, because I happen to think that is how I look most attractive.

I've been Facebooking for about six years, and blogging for seven. Why do I feel this need to come clean today? Well, it all started off innocently enough...

As I was taking my shower this morning, I was thinking about the horrific events of this day 14 years ago: September 11, 2001. In just a few hours, our lives were changed forever. As I was reflecting, I realized that I was repeating a prayer over and over in my mind. So, still wrapped in a towel, I posted my status on Facebook:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Then I continued to get ready. And I continued to think...

Religion is not a big part of my Facebook persona, yet today, I posted that prayer because it was what was in my heart. But Jesus said that when we pray, we should do so privately. If I'm being honest, I liked letting people know that I prayed today. I imagined that some would approve, and others would scoff, but I wanted them to know. Somehow, that feels wrong.

But I'm still an exhibitionist. That part of me is real. I just felt like you should know.


4 comments:

Shadows Thoughts on Stuff said...

I know you only through your writing, posting and breakfast that we shared, some time spent at the reunion. This is the person I know. who you were before I met you I do not know, yes I have seen pictures from the past but they are only snap shots of you at that moment in time.
I like the Kate I know so keep posting, blogging and writing and if it makes you feel better praying as well.
John

Unknown said...

Thanks, John -- and thanks for reading. (And thanks for inspiring me to write more.)

Linda said...

I love that you did that

Unknown said...

Thanks, Linda. Those old prayers always pop up when you least expect them.