Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sisterhood Blues: A Song For My Sister




To be sung to a basic blues strum...


Well, I have three sisters, but one of them's gone.

She went home to Heaven when the days were still long.


One had a birthday just yesterday,

So I called her up to see what she'd say.


It went straight to voicemail. (I wasn't surprised.)

She'll call me back later; I'm sure she's all right.


So I called up the other of the two I have left.

We talked for a while, but we both felt bereft.


Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad for those two.

If I didn't have them, God knows what I'd do.


There're also two brothers that I love a whole lot,

But that sister that's missing leaves a big empty spot.


There's nothing that beats having a sister.

Well three, but one's gone, and boy, have we missed her.




That's the song I wrote for you, Missy.





4 comments:

Shadows Thoughts on Stuff said...

I cannot feel the feel of loosing a sibling. I have not had that kind of pain. I cannot understand the lose or the place within your heart that is now was instead of is. I did not know her but my guess is that she would like this.
John

Unknown said...

She would, John. She'd probably say, "Silly, I'll always be with you." I just wish I could see her face and hear her voice. Thanks for reading.

Cindy Ricksgers said...

Wonderful,Kate! This is sweet and a little silly and perfectly captures the blank space that seems to take up so much room when a sibling is missing. Love to you!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cindy -- love right back to you, dear friend!