Monday, September 23, 2013

Happy Birthday and I Miss You

Dad and Mark, August 2007

Today is my brother, Mark's birthday. It's also my dad's birthday. Dad would be 84. I won't say how old Mark is.

I know I've blogged and facebooked about this before, but allow me to repeat myself; I'm old now, and sometimes The Past is my favorite place to hang out...

I like remembering the day Mark was born. I remember a friend, Genevieve Kennedy, coming to our house very early in the morning to take care of Bev, Karen and me, because Dad had to take Mom to the hospital. Then there must have been a big long commercial or something, because the next thing I remember, it's much later and Dad is sitting on the floor with us girls, leaning back against the couch, telling us about our baby brother. I can still hear him say, "Yep, that's the best present she ever gave me."

May I digress here, and tell you one other memory I have of when Mark was a baby? Well, he was crying in his crib, and Mom was changing him or comforting him or something, and I was watching her. That baby boy's skin was deep, deep red from all the screaming, and I innocently asked "Do you think he's a Negro?" I really didn't understand why she laughed, or why she told the story over and over again, every chance she got. I honestly thought some people just were, and it didn't have anything to do with ancestry. And I kind of think things would be better if that were the case.

Well, the last time I saw my dad was the day after his birthday in 2007. He died January 4, 2008, and this is the 6th time we've celebrated his birthday without him. We all still miss him like crazy.

But Mark -- Dad's best gift -- is still here to celebrate. Since Dad's been gone, we just don't get together to celebrate often enough. I saw him for breakfast yesterday, and just like every time I see him, I felt happy, content, blessed...I love both of my brothers and my sisters in a way that only siblings can love. But today I'm thinking about Mark.

Happy Birthday, Mark! Here's to you. And to Dad.

3 comments:

Cindy Ricksgers said...

Oh, Kate, I love this! Your lovely memories have brought tears to my eyes. I love the story about you asking "Do you think he's a negro"...how sweet! The world would in fact be a better place if we all saw it with a child's innocence. My friend, Beth, tells of the first time her four-year-old saw his new baby brother. Her husband said, "Will you look at all that black hair!" The little boy brightened, turned to his dad and said, "Maybe he's CHINESE!"

Unknown said...

Thanks, Cindy. Your friend's story is so cute! My son used to think my nephew was Asian for the same reason. How cool, really, if anyone could have a baby of any race, just randomly, whenever. That would have to end prejudice, wouldn't it?!

RETA said...

Oh my goodness - what a sweet story you wrote. I am sorry your Dad is gone - but glad you still have Mark. Thank you for writing that.

RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com